HEDGEHOG MUSHROOM?

JOHNY

First time for finding this species.

Am I correct:

A type of Hedgehog Mushroom?

H. umbilicatum?

Habitat—Northwest Ontario, 20-40 year old Spruce forest with some Balsam Fir, Birch and Aspen. Moist but not sloppy soil.

Late Fall season…no leaves on the trees any more.

The smaller ones have a smooth light brown cap and a central depression. About 5 cm diameter

Toothed under side.

A couple larger ones have developed a shaggy rough surface although the mushroom still feels firm.

Cooking questions:

Should I rub off the teeth?---Some sources say they fall of and feel like shaved coconut if the teeth are left on.

Should I eat the older ones?--- I read where H. repandum Hedgehogs get bitter as they age.

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

Those are hedgehogs (Hydnum umbilicatum). I’ve picked between 500-750 of them this fall. Great eating but you need to pic a lot of them to make a meal. See my pics. I’ve been picking them under hemlocks 

7C44C37F-A93D-4DAA-89C9-4CC31935DDA5.jpeg

40E0A73D-14E1-4213-A5CE-8466F127BB27.jpeg

5D5739A7-B6ED-4843-BBE6-0D635E5C0607.jpeg

62749B20-EED2-4D90-8F6C-C3231F0989A6.jpeg

I don’t rub the teeth off. And have not found any bitter, even the larger ones.