Mushroom Identification Help

GoneGone

Hi All,

I have been identifying mushrooms for fun over the past few years; never even crossed my mind to do so in the past. One day when on a walk in the Smith River National Forest, Nor Cal, I caught the bug. SO, these aren't great pics for identifying, but I thought I might get lucky. The best guess I've had looking in the Audubon Society book is 'Salmon Wax Cap'. But I don't think so. Anyone recognize these right off? I'll try and take better pics in the future. I'm thinking of joining this forum community, as I like looking up mushrooms and I often need help. How do you all like it? Do you find it helpful?

With Bows,

GoneGone

p.s. there were chanterelles and pig's ear not more than six feet away if that helps with the identification.

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

If you harvest a few specimens, photograph them, and then stick them back into the ground oriented the same way as when found, the mushrooms will probably continue to drop spores. In this case, you would have not disrupted their function. You may even cut into the gills and spores will still continue to fall from the mushrooms after it's replaced. Cutting through the gills is suggested as a way of checking to see if the mushroom may be a Lactarius. But, in order to check for staining reactions and/or spore print color you need to harvest/take a couple specimens.

12 hours ago, GoneGone said:

No. this'll sound funny, but I always hate to pick them. I wanna leave'em be unless there are a ton, then I don't feel so bad. I'll get better pics next time I'm unsure.

If it makes you feel better the mushroom you see is actually just the fruiting body of a much larger organism. You are not killing the organism any more than you would be killing an apple tree by picking an apple.