Agaricus campestris?

Joe T

Thanks Dave. I'm going to give them a try. These were growing in a lawn that wasn't treated with any chemicals. But I've seen some growing in grass that I know was treated several months ago. Should I assume that those are to be avoided?

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:46 PM, Joe T said:

Thanks Dave. I'm going to give them a try. These were growing in a lawn that wasn't treated with any chemicals. But I've seen some growing in grass that I know was treated several months ago. Should I assume that those are to be avoided?

Yes, avoid them and anything growing close to a road as well.

On 10/29/2019 at 9:10 AM, GCn15 said:

Yes, avoid them and anything growing close to a road as well.

Thanks. I remember seeing in a Paul Stametz video awhile back he was using oyster mushrooms to clean up toxic waste. He said the fungus broke down the toxin into the individual elements, or something like that, rendering it harmless and the mushrooms were edible. Is that correct? Are oysters the only mushroom with that super power? Or did I misunderstand something?

You can't really make generic statement about toxins. Too many of them of many different nature, from organic to heavy metals. No mushroom will break heavy metals and many urban areas have them from going back to leaded gas and paints

16 hours ago, Joe T said:

Thanks. I remember seeing in a Paul Stametz video awhile back he was using oyster mushrooms to clean up toxic waste. He said the fungus broke down the toxin into the individual elements, or something like that, rendering it harmless and the mushrooms were edible. Is that correct? Are oysters the only mushroom with that super power? Or did I misunderstand something?

I lived close to a mining smelter and a mycologist from the University of Manitoba advised we not eat mushrooms within a 15 mile radius because of the heavy metal emissions. Most mycologists will also tell you the same about picking from close to busy roads.

16 hours ago, Joe T said:

I don't think any mushroom has that super power to be honest. He was probably talking pretty specifically about one toxin in one area. What Stametz was talking about was probably mycoremediation, a process where oyster mushrooms and other types are used to clean up contaminated areas. However, what I've read on this topic suggest these mushrooms would not be safe to eat.

I found one of the videos I was thinking of. He's using oyster mushrooms to break down petroleum based hydrocarbons, specifically diesel. But there's no mention of the mushrooms being edible. 

Mushroom can break down many toxins but harmful toxins still remain. I would not eat any mushroom used in bioremediation, or growing close to any areas where pollution is a concern.

Mind you, I live in Canada so I don't have to take the chance.