Craterellus

jmw

This is the first year I have found these and am fairly sure that they constitute a species on Craterellus. I know Craterellus is under going some reclassicfication which has compounded my ID on these guys. I suspect them to be C. aurora or C. cornucopioides. However the collection I have does not fit either nicely. Fungus seems too light for cornucopioides and maybe too small. Too dark and not changing at maturity like aurora.

If someone with more experience with Trumpet types could weigh in here I would be grateful.

The collection are fairly mature specimens. I have left these for a while before picking hoping they would grow larger but instead they just begin to deteriorate.

Found on the ground under mixed hardwood pine forest in Coastal NC, growing out of pine needles/leaf litter.

Smooth with ridges or false gills only under the folds near the top of the mushroom.

Average size is 2 inches.

I found a couple hundred of these and they do not seem to grow any larger than this before they die off (found many already dieing off).

Spore print is in the works, but so far seems to be blank so I hold little hope of success. I will update if the print does come out.

post-488-0-02947500-1376506594_thumb.jpg

post-488-0-45832700-1376506620_thumb.jpg

post-488-0-54955200-1376506646_thumb.jpg

From Mushroomexpert.com, "If your Craterellus has a smooth under surface and is not a tiny little thing (under 2 cm across), the odds are now high that you have collected Craterellus cornucopioides."

I don't know the current status of the splitting vs. lumping of the white-spored vs. salmon-spored Black Trumpets. But the white-spored variety has been called Craterellus cornucopioides and the salmon-spored type C. fallax. Supposedly C. conucopioides is a western NA species, but I have made collections of white-spored BTs here in PA, mainly in conifer-dominated woods.

There's also a few less common species. C. foetidus and C. cinereus each feature fertile surface with better developed veins/ridges.

C. foetidus.

post-20-0-02423200-1376567851_thumb.jpg

C. cinereus.

post-20-0-61331100-1376567912_thumb.jpg

Jmw, your collection looks like young fruit bodies of one of the classic BT types.

Thanks Dave, the area I found these in had a couple hundred more Trumpets but they are all starting to split and wilt. A few have more abvious ridges/false gills but very few, most seemed to split and rot before they got to that stage. We had a lot of rain followed by a dry spell with 100+ degree days for maybe a week straight so maybe the weather caused the splitting and dieing. I just do not know enough about trumpets to guess. I have never seen them until this summer and then only the one patch. However, this is also the first year I would have been looking for them.