Relatively new to mushrooms

Just started hunting for mushrooms this summer after discovering chanterelles in the woods behind my house. Have been doing lots of research and joined the Central Pennsylvania Mushroom Club. 

I’ve been picking lots of hedgehogs or sweettooths (Hydnum umbilicatum) this fall. Of course I verified them with knowledgeable club members before eating them. 

63416591-C2D8-4DBF-9865-1F1603E2EA4C.jpeg

Thanks. That’s from yesterday, and I pick about that many again today. That’s eight bunches like that so far, but it’s quickly coming to an end, as my time is going to get very tight. 

I’m finding them under hemlocks, and find occasional ones growing on old stumps or even out of the base of the tree itself. These pictures are from today.

4268B089-DFDF-497E-A6BE-9E00DCA5CE8C.jpeg

E64F0AAC-0FBC-4499-8C1F-063A699AA550.jpeg

9EB86FA6-A038-4E16-89A3-B99D3D62B975.jpeg

Nice bunch of hedgehogs. I'm in northeast Pa. and I just discovered these this year thanks to joining our local club. They're a very good edible mushroom and once I got my eyes calibrated to them I can't seem to stop finding them, almost every time I'm out. During August and September I was finding them almost exclusively near hemlocks. Lately they seem to be popping up around white oaks.

The ones you find around oaks, are they Hydnum umbilicatum or Hydnum repandum?  Repandums are paler and larger and don’t have the belly button (my observations). Both called hedgehogs or sweettooth and both edible and very good eating. I found a couple repandums under oaks, but not many. But then again, I’m concentrating on hemlocks. 

I’m getting a lot now that bugs have gotten to. Often the caps are still good. I’m not far west of State College. 

4 hours ago, Kevin Hoover said:

The ones you find around oaks, are they Hydnum umbilicatum or Hydnum repandum?  Repandums are paler and larger and don’t have the belly button (my observations). Both called hedgehogs or sweettooth and both edible and very good eating. I found a couple repandums under oaks, but not many. But then again, I’m concentrating on hemlocks. 

I’m getting a lot now that bugs have gotten to. Often the caps are still good. I’m not far west of State College. 

I'm not sure which I found. I can't recall a belly button. They were all mostly pale and around 1-2.5" in diameter with the exception of a few hefty 4" specimens that were under a patch  of hemlock saplings. There was also a nice patch found under scrub oaks. They were 1-1.5". 

Sometimes the stems are buggy but insects don't seem to bother with the caps.