Little Bolete

jmw

Ok going to try this for a second time. The first thread vanished for some reason. Here is a small Bolete that I am stuck on. I am not sure if it is the size of this one, but something is not adding up for me, and I am at a lose as to what this little guy should be called.

post-488-0-68399000-1376442460_thumb.jpg

post-488-0-90298000-1376442486_thumb.jpg

post-488-0-79665800-1376442511_thumb.jpg

Here is what I know:

Found three times this summer in Coastal NC under mixed hard wood and pine forest. Always growing within ten feet of both a pine and an oak making it impossible so far to tell which type of tree it prefers. So far always growing alone.

All of them have been small roughly two inch cap and height equal. However, for some reason I am not convinced that is the normal size for this Bolete. Although that is speculation really.

Cap is chestnut brown and slightly velvety. Always dry and smooth.

Stem is always white and short.

Flesh is white and non staining.

Pores are tight and shallow. Darkening slightly when bruised, but no real staining. Always off white to cream.

Smell is pleasant and mild. Nutty would be a good reference, but as a chef the SCENT reminds me of Porcinis.

Taste is mild and pleasant as well. Again the onlty reference I have is as a chef with Porcinis and this little guy is similiar in taste.

This one was the one I intended to spore print and ammonia test but it was so buggy that when I cut it open I ended up putting it outside.

My ID suggestion is Xanthoconium affine, a small pale-stemmed example.

Here in PA, X. affine is one of the most common boletes. It occurs in a variety of cap colors and tints/textures on the stalk. The velvety cap surface is a good character.

Unlike Boletus, Xanthoconium pores/tubes lack a green stage. The pore surface changes from a creamy whitish color to a yellowish or brownish color. Xanthoconium types have non-staining flesh and a mild taste.

All Xanthoconium species are decent edibles... if you get them before the bugs do. X. separans is my favorite. I dehydrate mostly all the Xanthoconium that I use for cooking. Rehydrated, they are good for mushroom sauces, soups, or risottos.