Glad to find yall....

scalybark

My name is Dylan and I live in NW TN. I have hunted morels for years and last year expanded to a few oyster mushrooms and one hedgehog. I love eating wild mushrooms and want to keep learning so here is my next step...

A Bolete, No staining when bruised or cut, taste when nibbled is mild/nutty, came up under red oaks after much rain, smell absolutely heavenly nutty and earthy when dried (hard for me to admit but better than morels :o )

I've sliced and dried probably twenty of these and would love to make a red wine sauce with them and pour it over a big steak. :hungry: All my books seem to say safe and go for it. What do yall think.

Thank you very much

post-524-0-98098100-1376403392.jpg

post-524-0-58331200-1376403397.jpg

post-524-0-25479700-1376403445.jpg

Hi scalybark. With boletes, lack of blue/black staining, pores that are not red, and mild flavor means that your mushroom is probably safe to eat. To judge taste, nibble a tiny portion of the cap and spit it out. If your bolete passes these three tests, then I recommend frying up a small portion and trying it out before experimenting with using the mushrooms in a meal.

As for exact identification of your collection, one would need to see a few more traits. For instance, surface of the stalk, base of the stalk, spore print color... to name a few. But based upon what I see I think your collection may represent either the genus Tylopilus or the genus Xanthoconium. Tylopilus includes some intensely bitter types as well as some mild ones. Some people lack the ability to detect the bitterness. A single bitter Tylopilus mushroom can render an entire meal inedible for people who do not lack the bitter-detecting taste buds.

I went back out at lunch and there was a new one up. I tasted it also, they are definitely not bitter ( I assume I can taste bitter, green persimmons choke me)

Here are a couple stalk pics; I'm working on the spore print but it looks like it is going to be light brown.

post-524-0-71941000-1376417347.jpg

post-524-0-30558300-1376417356.jpg

Try to wait long enough for the spore print to become thick. A thin print often fails to truly represent the reported spore print color.

There are a few mild-tasting brown Tylopilus with pores that bruise brown. T. badiceps and T. ferrugineus are two names that come to mind.