Toilet paper growing experiment

Had some store bought cinnamon caps/namenko/Hypholoma sublatertiump that I kept in the fridge for longer than I should. Noticed, as many times before with other store bought mushrooms, mycelium growing on the roots. Lightning struck and somehow I remembered reading about growing mushrooms on toilet paper rolls at home. Decided to try it. Not even sure if this species will grow like oysters, which is the usual sp. grown with this method. Anyway, we'll see in a couple if weeks.

Original packaging.

post-369-0-90963400-1376270431_thumb.jpg

Toilet paper roll after soaking in boiling water and cooling. Centre roll removed, and stuck full of fungal roots with mycelium.

post-369-0-86300300-1376270457_thumb.jpg

Will keep you updated on progress.

Now you folks have me wanting to break out the the mason jars and and the pressure cooker again after an 8 year hiatus. Cultivating is that easy and fun.

I just got my oyster spawn yesterday and today I hit up my local Starbucks for coffee grounds. They gave me enough in one visit to do the whole enchilada. I had a credit coming to me from Fungi Perfecti, and since we are so inundated with pouring rain on a daily basis, there are no mushrooms growing here. So, I will just grow my own! I also got some Pleurotus djamor to grow (pink oysters) so I'll take photos once I have something to show and post them.

• 3 weeks later...

Day 15 - the top is covered in mycelium:

post-369-0-14225600-1378531558_thumb.jpg

Day 19 - The mycelium is very thick on the entire roll now. There are yellow spots developing on the paper roll and some glowing orange spots on the mycelium source, the original mushroom roots. Kind of worried. I'm moving it now to a cool indirect sunlight area with good air flow. Let's see what happens next...

post-369-0-17752900-1378531653_thumb.jpg

I'm a little lost as to what to do next. Anyone know the growth pattern of Hypholoma sublateritium? Some calls for a 48 hr chill in the fridge to stimulate fruiting on the Oysters. Not sure if this will do the same to Hypholoma. Also, should i leave a opening at the top or cut holes in the bag adjacent to the roll? Anyone any advice?

Cold shock helps many species fruit. Uaually 12 hours in the fridge did the trick for a second flush or trigger the first.

• 6 months later...

theplanets, please post an update. I'd love to hear the final results. As a rule everything reproduces better with some, but not extreme, stress. I believe it's an evolutionary strategy. If things are too good there's no hurry about getting the next generation started. If there is some stress, maybe it's time to get the young'uns started while you can. Extreme stress? Better worry most about surviving 'til a better time and place to reproduce. Just my hypothesis with nothing to back it except observation.