Leucopaxillus?

Wesley

Hi, i am pretty new to this mushroom hunting business and could use some help with an id. I found these growing under pine(in UK)I had thought it could be leocopaxillus tricolor but the cap Is more a grey colour. The gills rub off easily leaving a smooth surface on the underside of the cap. Many thanks!

E384ECE8-638E-4260-8844-6359E112E285.jpeg

5BB4BD55-E5D4-48EA-BFEB-C17AF0B222FB.jpeg

Hi Wesley. Your proposal of Leocopaxillus is reasonable. Your samples do demonstrate the easily separable gill layer, which is consistent with the genus leocopaxillus, but do not seem to have the yellowish gills or the swollen middle of the stipe typical of L.tricolor. Perhaps these are another species of the Leocopaxillus genus, for instance L.albissimus, L. paradoxus, or L. giganteus. Additional information would be helpful (environment found in, substrate, cross section, description of smell (many Leocopaxillus have a foul, "coal tar" smell), taste (nibble & spit - do not swallow), and spore print.

You have quite a nice variety of mushrooms on your table. If you collect for consumption, be careful confirm their ID. Be sure to not confuse these with the genus Paxillus, as most of those species are known to be poisonous or inedible.