Your dream mushroom hunt

Post it up. :)

Mine would be to fly to Italia and pick them in the same place that my ancestors did near Genova. I would then want an entire meal based on nothing but the (hopefully numerous) ones that I had found.

Fried porcini

Risotto con ovoli (Amanita)

Pollo in a porcini mushroom sauce

Orata (fish) in a porcini crust

Any cake with the little chocolate mushrooms that have a pastry stem.

Chianti, Chianti and more Chianti.

A glass of Vecchia Romagna

Your turn :)

I'd love to go to two places 1. Vancouver Island 2.California, and pick with David Arora. I've been keeping in touch with a couple of guys from Vancouver on youtube and they are killing the mushrooms there. Getting baskets after baskets of winter chanterelles, yellow chanterelles, cauliflower mushrooms and pine mushrooms. If anyone's interested their channel names are TheMushroomGuru and Island Mushrooms. In California, I'd zero in on Lactarius fragilis. ( candy caps )

The only times I have been to Oregon or Washington have been in August... which is not a very good time to find mushrooms there. I'd love to visit the PNW in October, but I'm not able to take time off from work then. So, maybe after I retire... whenever that may be??

My dream hunt was actually my first one. My sister lived in Florence, Italy for 8 years and a friend of hers took me foraging in Tuscany. I was lucky enough to spot a disturbance in the ground which turned out to be an "ovolo" or Amanita caesarea, the most prized edible mushroom in Italy. This friend's Grandmother was amazed that a rank amateur could come up with such a find and accused her grandson of spying on her choice spots. It was pretty funny. We also found plenty of porcini as well as Lactarius deliciosus. A month later, I was privileged to hunt white truffles with an old-timer and his truffle hound.

My dream hunt was actually my first one. My sister lived in Florence, Italy for 8 years and a friend of hers took me foraging in Tuscany. I was lucky enough to spot a disturbance in the ground which turned out to be an "ovolo" or Amanita caesarea, the most prized edible mushroom in Italy. This friend's Grandmother was amazed that a rank amateur could come up with such a find and accused her grandson of spying on her choice spots. It was pretty funny. We also found plenty of porcini as well as Lactarius deliciosus. A month later, I was privileged to hunt white truffles with an old-timer and his truffle hound.

My dream. You lucky dawg. I know that you know that. ;)

I had my dream hunt two seasons ago on a morel hunt in NW IL. Me and a friend(who guided me in his spectacular patch of old growth dead elm woods) picked 26 pounds of primo morels in a day's hunt! It was a religious experience.

post-24-0-08335000-1292296510_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-26169800-1292296544_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-35558000-1292296559_thumb.jpg