Large dark chocolate brown toadstools

Pinecones

I found a few of these duper dark mushrooms; two were obviously passed their prime.  Yellow-ish cream spores.  Fruit large, with the smaller caps  2-3" across and the larger 4-5" across.  I haven't found any species leads but mushrooms used for dying came to mind due to their rich color?

FD58E1B7-95FA-4DED-B3D2-8818B8B804A1.thumb.jpg.2fa83c621fb32a211cd6d2ca9a4709fd.jpgE60C68CB-943B-471B-B8CB-E8965DD867C1.thumb.jpg.47c6ba8f2d4f39b3792ce95a3e8a746b.jpgC8DC7BF4-3914-475C-8461-B4F70F50A31A.thumb.jpg.99b5805d02c4ec2a9dee6c501e7df40a.jpg9397FC73-9081-4349-BA29-661C3B910FE2.thumb.jpg.fd6452391c08610c3efff10b65af8a52.jpgtoa85C94649-9E2A-49DC-977E-F585A65BA3CC.thumb.jpg.5e1aec987961fe1990f20735ca7df85f.jpg

High elevation conifer forest.  These were growing in a draw where a creek shifts between above and underground; the area is quite moist and cold, lots of brackish materials and rotting wood. This time of year the creek is mostly just keeping the ground mushy, it's not flowing.  Our draws have mountain maple, dogwood, willow, several kinds of berries, and occasionally aspen in them.  Along with the moisture loving firs and spruce.  I don't recall these mushrooms actually being attached to anything, rather just growing in the substrate.

18 hours ago, Pinecones said:

High elevation conifer forest.  These were growing in a draw where a creek shifts between above and underground; the area is quite moist and cold, lots of brackish materials and rotting wood. This time of year the creek is mostly just keeping the ground mushy, it's not flowing.  Our draws have mountain maple, dogwood, willow, several kinds of berries, and occasionally aspen in them.  Along with the moisture loving firs and spruce.  I don't recall these mushrooms actually being attached to anything, rather just growing in the substrate.

Mu guess still remains with armillaria, however, with willow, aspen, maple, and conifers all together it would be hard to narrow it down to exactly what kind. Growing in the substrate (likely underground roots) seems to suggest armillaria tabescens. a yellow cream spore print seems a little off for armillaria though but if more cream still very possible.

Funny, I suspected such a dark uniquely colored mushroom to be easily identified!  Ah, what little I know :)  The spore print was definitely yellow-ish.  I was surprised; I was expecting a brown spore print since the mushroom was so dark.  

What I'm seeing of armillaria tabescens looks a little bit more like these others I found, though granted their gills seem whiter than a. tabescens should be?

055D4CEC-7CAA-41FC-AEEF-023445B5C29C.thumb.jpg.6d4b5f385dc0911a335f48a1163486d0.jpgBC68A18D-A8D8-448B-AD37-413A99E2699A.thumb.jpg.fbc726eccd24628fc4e825700fa49782.jpgA6742838-A1F7-43B6-8429-BFDB258BA75F.thumb.jpg.debbcc56612a0f5d87ece7b5431a314c.jpg753D7208-9474-48A2-9D32-1347F12E7FF7.thumb.jpg.27ee9d389046ae31a9481a7606d47a88.jpg

I also found a clustered mushroom that looks like armillaria tabescens, I'll try to get the photo off the camera tonight.

But the size difference here!  Is it normal for a. tabescens to vary so drastically in size?  I'm looking into a. ostoyae at the moment.  It seems to be larger and darker to begin with.  I'm totally new to armillaria here, just investigating :)

Color of mushroom almost never matters to spore print color. I have once again changed my mind. Due to the club shape of the base of the stem I now feel pretty strongly that if these are armillaria they are most likely A. Gallica which are known to grow singularly or in small groups on rotting wood matter as well as on stumps/dying trees.

The latest photos show different species than the original post. To avoid confusion it's best to stick to one type per discussion.

Original blackened mushrooms... the reason why they are difficult to ID is likely because they looked a lot different than before they became old and black. Armillaria seems like a reasonable proposal (but not either A. mellea or A. tabescens), except all Armillaria mushrooms have creamy white spore prints, not yellow. How was the spore print collected?

On 10/13/2019 at 3:48 PM, Dave W said:

The latest photos show different species than the original post. To avoid confusion it's best to stick to one type per discussion.

Original blackened mushrooms... the reason why they are difficult to ID is likely because they looked a lot different than before they became old and black. Armillaria seems like a reasonable proposal (but not either A. mellea or A. tabescens), except all Armillaria mushrooms have creamy white spore prints, not yellow. How was the spore print collected?

58 minutes ago, GCn15 said:

Yea...yellow spore print is not armillaria. However they may have appeared a bit yellow if there was moisture present?

Yeah I didn't think they were the same mushroom.

Definitely moist and wet.  We had a light snow that hit these mushrooms and melted off.

The spore prints were taken on white paper.  I know foil is better but that's what I had on hand for taking a print.  The print looked clear and normal, but I suppose maybe it's possible that the spores leeched some pigmentation from the cap?  It didn't look like that to me at all though.  The spores didn't appear moist, were evenly yellow-ed, and the cap was not soggy nor sticking to the paper not apparently transferring moisture to the paper.