Mushroom hunting in different countries

Guest Vlad

I cannot recall finding Honeys on birch wood. So I'd have to say it is uncommon around here. Maybe those Russian armillaria growing on the birch are a species that I don't get here. I find P'pinkeys (popinkees) on oak, beech, maple, wood of fruit trees, and sometimes coniferous wood.

I glanced through about 7 pages of the Russian mushroom photos. I saw Phyllotopsis nidulans, an Amanita... muscaria I think, Flammulina velutipes, and various small fragile msuhrooms... maybe Mycena or Coprinus, along with all thoses Boletus and Leccinum.

In Ontario we very often see honeys growing up a tree although nowhere near to the extent shown in the pictures. I dont recall seeing them higher than about chest height but this is not at all rare. I don't think I have ever seen honeys growing on birch but then I don't often frequent forests that have a lot of birch. I have found them on beech, aspen, spruce, pine, oak ash and hemlock. Perhaps if they dont fruit much or at all on birch here it is because birch has an oily bark (you can dip a piece in water and it will still ignite wet with a match) and these oils may inhibit fruiting.

Here is a vid that shows some Ontario honeys on a tree..

Very strange, I've never seen them growing ON trees either.

I did find a Leucoagaricus americanus growing about 6 feet up a dead oak once.

Oddly, that is the only way that we have ever found them. As a matter of fact, if they aren't growing on the tree, we don't pick them

Luigi,

Is that in California or Italy, where they grow on trees?

I am up to page 200 on the web site of Russian mushrooms. I know see that that many of the mushrooms are posed as the photographer wishes. It is easy to pick a King then put it in a bird nest for an unusual effect.

This mushroom that is mimicking a daisy flower I found interesting. Does anyone know its scientific or English name? The pictures were labeled like “A bouquet of Mushrooms” or “A mushroom that wants to be a flower”. Here are 3.

post-67-0-29527500-1294094408_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-67076200-1294094461_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-85242900-1294094483_thumb.jpg

Mary,

I forgot to save a shocking blue Inky, as far as can I can tell. I got distracted by the next thing I saw and…

Next time I run across it I will save it and post it. It was one of those things where I was not that impressed at first but the more I think about it the more it is on my mind.

OK, I will take a crack at identifying the daisy mushroom. I think it is a Bolbitius

specie. Take a look at this Google image

http://www.americanmycology.com/images/Bolbitius_vitellinus_02_Paula_DeSanto.jpg

I once found a mushroom that I thought of "sunny side up" when I first saw it. Later reading an article I saw a common name for Bolbitius vitellinus as being “Sunny Side Up”. At the bottom of this page is what I found.

http://mushroomhunter.net/interestingm3.htm

Here is the link to the blue inkys.

http://fotki.yandex....57944/?page=122

The caption reads "Guests at Baba Yaga". Baba Yaga is a witch used to scare disobedient children. "If you do not behave Baba Yaga will get you".

I'm thinking it is more a color thing with the camera settings than the actual mushrooms. Or else it was retouched in photoshop! Thanks for posting Vlad. I love blue mushrooms!!

Dave,

I think you got it! The Russian version with the separated petals could have been caused by dry weather or those tricky Russians might have torn them themselves to get the effect they wanted.

I invited Bill Neill to joint the group. If he does, between the two of you, you would identify all my mushrooms. I find them, you guys tag them :rolleyes: