Bolete with Pink Pores

Sunny_0ne

Here's another one I can't identify. I actually had two specimens to work with. The fresher one had reddish bruising on the pore surface. The older specimen had a completely pink pore surface.

They had reddish brown spore prints. (Again, sorry about the aluminum foil.) :)

The pores turned dark brown after they sat a while.

Under pines, N GA

post-316-0-38777500-1374963635.jpg

post-316-0-72788000-1374963663.jpg

post-316-0-11377800-1374963705.jpg

post-316-0-74418500-1374963772.jpgpost-316-0-72228800-1374963841.jpg

post-316-0-30496000-1374963900.jpg

Maybe something close to Chalciporus piperatus the Peppery Bolete. I say that based on the spore print, and pore color. The cap and stipe are not too far off either. What color was the mycelium and also do you know what kind of trees it was growing under? A tiny taste would be a dead give away for this idea. If it is peppery then it is a Peppery Bolete. If not then I was wrong.

Not super confident about it, but it may be worth a look.

It was growing under pines. I'm not sure what kind of pine.

The mycelium was covered with dirt in the second photo. In the fourth photo, the stalk broke off at ground level, so I dug up the rest and it's to the right in the photo.

Sorry, I'm new enough at this that I didn't think to take a close look at the mycelium, but it looks like it may be white in the picture.

Nor did I taste it... which I should have done. I haven't seen any more of them, but when I do I will give it the taste test, too.

Thanks so much for the lead on what it might be. :)

Tasting a small piece of Bolete is not dangerous, as long as you don't swallow any of it. I've heard of some peppery tasting mushrooms that can blister your tongue, but I don't think that there are any Boletes that are that peppery.

vitog, I know it's safe to taste a small piece and spit it out.

It just didn't occur to me to do it since I wasn't interested in it as an edible.

The only time I remember to do it is when I am trying to identify a mushroom that I think might be a good edible.

Just like I didn't smell the Russula compacta until Dave told me the foul odor would confirm the ID--and did it ever! :)

I'll try to remember to taste and smell the next specimen I need help IDing.

Thanks for the reminder.

• 2 weeks later...

Genus Chalciporus includes only a few species. The guide "North American Boletes" includes one peppery species, an acrid one, and others mild-tasting. Up here in NE PA, C. piperatus is the most common species. C. rubritubifer is a rare species known only from the Myakka River State Park in FL. Wouldn't it be cool to find another example of this one?

Tasting a newly discovered bolete type as a criterion for edibility is essential. For the purpose of gaining species ID, taste may be helpful. For the purpose of obtaining genus ID, I believe taste is generally not useful.

However, for Chalciporus piperatus the peppery taste is distinctive among boletes.

I camped at Myakka River back in the very late 80's -- long before I became interested in mushrooms. Too bad. All I remember is a huge alligator floating slowly toward a flock of water birds settling down for the night and then a great explosion of water as the alligator scored dinner.

Oh.... and the cottonmouth moccasin curled up in the dried grass where I was fishing from a big culvert. EEK!

I generally only taste mushrooms I'm testing for edibility. But I do know to smell them now! :)

Myakka River State Park is just down the road a bit from me. It is all flooded out right now with all the rain we've had. There is nowhere to look for mushrooms...all my spots are closed due to flooding. :(

We have had almost daily thunderstorms this entire season. But we are in the hills, so it's no big deal for us. No flash floods in our immediate area.

I really feel for you dealing with that down there. I remember as a kid in South Jacksonville having our yard a foot underwater one year.

Hope perfect mushroom hunting conditions return for you soon. :)