Edible ...Id help please?

Wdg

Those are called pheasant backs where I live, aka Dryad’s saddle, or Polyporus squamosu. It should have a cucumber/melon smell to it. I eat it, but not many people like it because they don’t know how to use the flavour. It goes good in salad, and it’s good marinaded. I’ve also sautéed it, and it’s not bad by itself, but like I said, it goes well in salad, both marinaded and sautéed. 

4 minutes ago, Will gilmore said:

Thank you for your help. 

-Will 

You’re welcome. If you plan to experiment with it in food, try to avoid the part closest to the log. The closer you get to the log, the more woody the texture. For that size mushroom, I would trim off the outer 2-4 inches to start. Cut in a crescent slicing motion, all the way around, leaving the rest on the stump. You should be able to judge by making your first cut, if you can trim any  deeper into the mushroom, or if it’s too woody. 

Will,

The Dryad's saddle is not what I'd call a choice or highly desirable edible (they have the smell and taste of watermelon rind) , but they aren't bad if you take only the outer edges that are not yet too tough. If you scrape the fruiting surface on the underside and the pores do not separate easily, then it may be too tough to cook, although you can dry it and powder it as a additive for soups, etc.

I've tried them pickled and they weren't bad.

If you find them when they are very you, they are pretty good. The buttons in these photos are the best to pick.

Cerioporus_squamosus,_4-30-19_001.jpg

Cerioporus_squamosus,_4-30-19_005.jpg

Cerioporus_squamosus,_2019-7-27_001.jpg

Cerioporus_squamosus,_2019-8-31_017.jpg