Lion's Mane I think

flipjargendy

Walking around the woods in norther Minnesota, I noticed these mushrooms on an old log on the forest floor. I've never had a good look at Lion's Mane but I think I found some fresh ones. Doing some research now but figured I'd post here to see if there are other suggestions. Thanks! 🙂

Edit: just found one in my field guide called bear's head tooth. Thoughts?

IMG_20190914_172627.jpg

IMG_20190914_172638.jpg

IMG_20190914_172641.jpg

37 minutes ago, flipjargendy said:

Walking around the woods in norther Minnesota, I noticed these mushrooms on an old log on the forest floor. I've never had a good look at Lion's Mane but I think I found some fresh ones. Doing some research now but figured I'd post here to see if there are other suggestions. Thanks! 🙂

Edit: just found one in my field guide called bear's head tooth. Thoughts?

IMG_20190914_172627.jpg

IMG_20190914_172638.jpg

IMG_20190914_172641.jpg

I harvested a lot of that today, it’s going to become mushroom soup tomorrow. They are very good. In my David Aurora field guide, it’s (Hericium abietis). This H. Abietis maybe a western variety, and eastern varieties may have a different name, but I have been eating them for 3 years now. They are one of my favourite mushrooms as far as flavour. Cooked slow, it brings out a crab flavour, and it has a meaty texture. 

Since mushroom expert said it was tasteless and from what I've found tonight there are no poisonous look-alikes, I decided to fry up a piece. You are right, @That_Guy, a crab flavor and texture for sure. This one is at the top of my list for taste and texture. Can't wait to try more tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, flipjargendy said:

Since mushroom expert said it was tasteless and from what I've found tonight there are no poisonous look-alikes, I decided to fry up a piece. You are right, @That_Guy, a crab flavor and texture for sure. This one is at the top of my list for taste and texture. Can't wait to try more tomorrow.

This is what I picked today. 

07D687C0-17CA-4A06-B27F-3A34BA1D31CB.jpeg

BD34C110-B235-41C1-9386-6C9B60E52795.jpeg

DB3E04B3-17E2-4F31-B49E-02F68D9F57DA.jpeg

ED1515EE-3E71-4C85-BFEF-3F2E236A54F1.jpeg