Boletes

clamp connection

Northern Wisconsin under aspen and balsam.  The one with yellow pores was found a bit away from the other two but appears to be the same. Largest cap is about 5", the stipe is extremely dense/heavy, as are the others.  I don't know my boletes well. I've never positively id'ed edulis and I'm doubtful this is it, but it does seem to have some white reticulation on the stipe and apparently yellowing pores. Not quite the bulbous stipe I associate with edulis though.  Whadya thinkIMG_1076.thumb.JPG.24dec8abf18ce3f3dacf58b6a2ef63e6.JPGIMG_1077.thumb.JPG.f464a7ad28744e5459c76e5ceb3e0221.JPG

H. subgalbripes also comes to my mind... except the stalks look very white for this species. There are varieties of B. edulis in NA that either lack the reticulations on the stipe, or perhaps have a very faint ornamentation. Like Camille said, need to section and photograph so the flesh may be observed. Also, if you scratch the pore surface and then see if there's a color change.

16 minutes ago, CamilleR said:

No picture of cross section or flesh color? My first guess is Hemileccinum subglabripes.

I didn't have time to get more pics or do a proper write up. Will post some more tonight, but I think you are on the right track with your guess.  

Flesh is white and the pores just darken a bit when bruised-no blueing. Will try to get more pics tonite

In the middle is a freshly cut one; on either side is a half that I cut this morning and then recut again just now. The white pores have turned yellow on all of them now.  Definite white netting on the upper stipe under microscope. My attempt to get a spore print was not fruitful

section.thumb.JPG.bc69499175f3bff6a91daea4e7c69606.JPG

Well since I'm drying gobs of chanterelles today and I've been dying to try boletes for years, I'm going to dry up some of these too.  They do appear to be H. subglabripes or very close so I assume they are edible but I'll wait for more feedback before trying them. Whatever they are I've been wanting to eat them for years. The caps just look and feel like great big hamburger buns that cry out "eat me". they smell delicious drying.

They look similar to porcinis I find around here, not all have the fat stem and easy reticulation id. Many will have thinner stems with no sign of reticulation if in area of less light under dark hemlocks. The cross cuts look just like the porcinis I just cooked up for pizza. It has been an unbelievable year here for them. I got home the other day and looked at edge of driveway to see 4 growing under a birch. 

here is example of variety found one day last week the stems can be thin or fat, most have the bun color but also find paler caps,  also a shot of one under the birch

IMG_7260.JPG

IMG_7270.JPG

Clamp connection, did you taste the flesh of these mushrooms?  If they are not bitter, they are very likely edible members of the Boletus edulis group, assuming that the reticulation that you described is actually there.