New bolete for me.

bobby b

Here's a Bolete that fruited in groups 4 times in the last 5 weeks under black gum trees. Seems like it's a Xerocomus? Small to medium size with a very firm reddish cap that cracks exposing yellow to white flesh. The stem frequently splits vertically exposing yellow flesh. The pores are yellow until they start producing spores which gives a olive brown print. Mild bluing in the flesh & pores. Mild tasting.  X subtomentosus looks to be the closest match. ??? Variable coloring. Gonna have to get the Bessette Bolete book.

20190810_133533.jpg

20190812_120532.jpg

20190812_120731.jpg

20190824_125628.jpg

20190906_125905.jpg

I think these are something other than a species of Xerocomus. My reasoning is based upon the first photo, which shows a layer of tubes that appears to be easily separated from the rest of the cap. The tube layer on a Xerocomus fruit body would not easily peel away from the cap. 

Maybe a species of Lanmaoa? 

If anything else comes to my mind, I'll make another post here. For now... I don't recognize this species.