Identifying Southern Louisiana Mushies

Versailles

Hey! I’ve been taking pictures of mushrooms on my wilderness walks, and recently thought about gathering some! This is just the first step in many before I pick mushrooms & cook em up. Here are some photos of mushrooms I’ve seen so far, I have no clue what they are.

C16863F8-CCFA-46FD-B5EA-6C697AE040C8.jpeg

9C670066-DFDA-4E01-845B-51C3929BA01A.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

The first pic is definitely a bird's nest fungus, possibly Grey Bird's Nest (Cyanthus olla). The second picture may be a type of oyster, but looks like Angel's Wings (Phyllotus porrigens). These fruit on conifers; is that a conifer in the photo? These appear to be very thin fleshed, as are Angel's Wings.

That log looks like an old bark-less oak. I think the white mushrooms are Pleurotus pulmonarius. The well-defined stipes would be unusual for Pleurocybella porrigens (Angel Wings). To be absolutely certain of Pleurotus vs. Pleurocybella, spores should be measured (or the type of wood identified). 

That's a great photo of the Bird's Nest Fungi! Shows the fruit bodies at several stages of development... worthy of appearing in a filed guide. Based upon the radiating grooves seen inside the nests, I think these are Cyathus striatus. 

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are so helpful thank you! I believe I saw my first oyster mushrooms in the wilderness in early September! Along with some other mushrooms that I’m still too inexperienced to identify properly. What do you guys think? 🙂 also thank you so much for all of your input, again. 

F2015B1F-5807-479E-AF05-41D63A4C408E.jpeg

E33E8759-1E9C-4383-9390-80D081060DA8.jpeg

278119CA-2BF2-452A-84EE-79A548FE1660.jpeg

0DA202B3-3F71-4308-8D18-C645E15A0641.jpeg

D3BCD144-1819-449F-BFFC-D3FA5853736A.jpeg