Illinois shroom ID

Salukis97

Interesting.  Thanks!

Also interesting, a google search on the Russula resulted in an article on how to tell the difference between edible and non edible Russulas.  The author said to break off a small piece and touch it to the tip of your tongue.  If it burns, it's not an edible Russula.  Don't think I'm gonna try that method lol.

Salukis97, there is no test for edibility of Russulas or any other mushrooms.  Don't trust any of that kind of advice.  On the other hand, I've had personal experience with the edibility of Russulas in general; and I can say that all of the colorful types are probably edible if they are boiled in lots of water before further preparation for a meal.  The water must be discarded, as it contains the water-soluble toxins that some Russulas carry.  Many northern Europeans and immigrants from that region pick all Russulas for food, regardless of color, and treat them that way.

I agree with what vitog says about the colorful species of Russula.

Russula is a very large genus with subgroupings of species that require separate consideration. The foetid types (slimy/smelly not colorful) are likely inedible regardless of how they are prepared. Also, whitish/grayish ones with flesh that bruises red then black (or possibly only black) should be avoided.