Chicken of the woods

Well, been looking for these the last couple seasons and finally found them today. 

Only problem is the free was to degraded to ID as conifer or hardwood. I have heard chickens on conifers can possibly carry toxins that can make you sick. Does anyone have any opinion or experience with this. Like I said I aM not certain. The this forest was 60% conifer. There was big oak over the long skinny tree these were growing  on. Would be a shame because they are perfect specimens . Unfortunately I left the camera in my car. These were way back in the Bush 

4AD1B8EC-A527-4F40-AFE3-3EB7E5BC7B09.jpeg

If the tree was one skinny trunk with small branches, I would think it was conifer. What type of conifer woods? Hemlock? I'm not familiar with eastern trees. This may help:

https://www.messiah.edu/Oakes/fungi_on_wood/poroid fungi/species pages/Laetiporus huroniensis.htm

Here, in Ontario, eastern hemlock is a common host tree. I've read about the same concerns, you have, and after further research found that eucalyptus is the host most notable with stomach issues. I brought up the conifer issue, at a foray meeting, and was greeted with blank looks. Apparently no one has had problems. Best to try a small portion then wait to see if there are any side affects.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 12:58 PM, Foulhook said:

I did not. The next day I found a big bloom on an oak tree. Those were delicious! 

Also was surprised to find a good amount of trumpets as well as a dozen chanterelles 

I can’t find trumpets anywhere!!! Help.