Lactarius Volemus?

brendan

My goal this summer is to add some milk caps to my diet, first gilled mushrooms other than oysters for me. Found in a mixed hardwood forest, mainly oak. I guess I would say it smelled fishy. Latex and flesh taste mild. Latex stained the gills brown very slowly, and the flesh turned brownish almost as soon as it was cut. Latex did not change color, though it did seem like after a few minutes, it separated a bit, into more clear fluid and more milky fluid, almost like melted butter with the little white milk fat bits. Might have been over analyzing though. Don't worry if my ID is faulty, not planning on eating these until I'm a bit more familiar. Thanks!

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

Interesting, I hadn’t realized corrugis also had the fishy odor, is there any surefire way to distinguish the two? I suppose they are both edible but I have a rule about being 100% positive with edibles haha

A tricky one! But, I'd also lean toward L. corrugis, based on the yellow-tinged gills. If you really want to be certain, then the spores should be measured. L. corrugis has significantly larger spores than volemus. The two species are very similar and have similar edible qualities.