Montana Boletus edulis...first of the season!

This is the earliest I've ever found Boletus edulis in my patch here in Montana. All found under Douglas fir. The earliest before this was July 5th several years ago, but normal is around the 8th. This is what I came to MT for...well, mostly ;)

Image6_zps8b525e80.jpgImage5_zps8bb53a6c.jpg

Image2_zpsa16de4ad.jpgImage_zps31e8a4e8.jpg

3D7_2272_zpsc7313262.jpg3D7_2295_zps0d622a82.jpg

3D7_2285_zps69524a89.jpg3D7_2291_zps338dbb97.jpg

3D7_2279_zps021562cb.jpg3D7_2293_zps1f779859.jpg

Evan, You've never found edulis? I wonder what trees they would prefer in your area? I find these under Douglas Fir but that is pretty unusual. I'm going back to check my patch today.

Ok...I am now on a 3 day schedule to go back and pick my patch. I fugure three days is enough for new growth but not so much they get too big. Here is today's harvest which was twice as many as the first harvest on Tuesday.

3D7_2426_zps99c2dc8a.jpg3D7_2433_zps60ad7083.jpg

3D7_2441_zps09d1786b.jpg4boletes_zpse68bc896.jpg

porcinibasket_zpscf632374.jpg

No, I think I might be a bit too far south for these. The boletes we usually find are mostly thin stalked. I think I found some a couple years ago while camping for a wine festival, but they looked a bit lighter. I'm pretty sure what we find around here are bitter boletes.

The edulis types found here in eastern NA are generally not as bulbous-stalked or dark-capped as Mary's young Rocky Mountain collections. I find most of my edulis on lawns under Norway Spruce. But there are other edulis types that occur under hemlock, pine, or oak. eastern NA edulis has a split season... as long as the weather cooperates. An early flush in late June or early July, and another flush or two in September/October.

I haven't found any yet this summer.

There are plenty of hemlocks here. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Here in Ontario I find them often under Norway Spruce. This tree is not native to Canada, but as Dave said, it is often planted on lawns. Also, if you see spruce plantations, always worth checking out. 20 foot spruces with a nice mossy carpet that you just want to lay down on. These are the spots where you can win the Edulus lottery.

Actually, I've noticed that these same plantations the have Edulis, often have A. muscaria and Aborted Entoloma growing there too. So if you are scouting a plantation, and there are lots of these other species, it's definitely worth checking again at a later time.

Calvert, when do you usually start finding B. edulis in Ontario? We've had some crazy rain in the past few days and it is hot! I'm starting to look.

Here in Ontario I find them often under Norway Spruce. This tree is not native to Canada, but as Dave said, it is often planted on lawns. Also, if you see spruce plantations, always worth checking out. 20 foot spruces with a nice mossy carpet that you just want to lay down on. These are the spots where you can win the Edulus lottery.

Actually, I've noticed that these same plantations the have Edulis, often have A. muscaria and Aborted Entoloma growing there too. So if you are scouting a plantation, and there are lots of these other species, it's definitely worth checking again at a later time.

Calvert, when do you usually start finding B. edulis in Ontario? We've had some crazy rain in the past few days and it is hot! I'm starting to look.

As Dave wrote earlier, we often get an early flush around this time, and then another later in August. I think the earliest I've ever found them was late June.

It has been hot and rainy. The bolets/amanitas/russulas love the humid weather. I should get out looking too! Good Luck.