Hello, noob here.

I found this on a backpacking adventure in mid July (About a week ago) in Central North Carolina. It looks delicious, thought not being an expert, I didn't and probably will not harvest or eat it. I am curious what it is and whether it has an look-a-likes or other things to be concerned with.

Again, not going to eat it but I do think it is a shame that I don't know more about what I can and can't eat in the mushroom world, so unless I chicken out, wild mushrooms may be a new adventure.

I tried looking it up and it looks to me like something akin to A Chicken of The woods but I have no idea what I am talking about.

Also there were a ton of inch tall orange mushrooms I had no idea what were. They were super bright orange-red. Surely they looked like something Snow White would do best to avoid.

Any info on the topic would be appreciated. Thank you.

:D

MushroomUR.jpg

Edited by ChickenOfTheWoodz
Typo and tags

This may be confused with Berkeley's Polypore (Bondarzewia berkeleyi) or Black Staining Polypore (Meripilus sumstinei). The former is known ot make some people sick if eaten.

Also, even though it is not a polypore --ie. has gills instead of pores underneath-- people have been known to mistake Jack 'o Lantern (Omphalotus illudens) for Laetiporus. O. illudens causes severe gastrointestinal for some people.

4 hours ago, Dave W said:

This may be confused with Berkeley's Polypore (Bondarzewia berkeleyi) or Black Staining Polypore (Meripilus sumstinei). The former is known ot make some people sick if eaten.

Also, even though it is not a polypore --ie. has gills instead of pores underneath-- people have been known to mistake Jack 'o Lantern (Omphalotus illudens) for Laetiporus. O. illudens causes severe gastrointestinal for some people.

Thank you Dave W. That is interesting. So much to learn. Going to look up staining now. Also looking into spore prints today. Fascinating!!!

I also just saw on Wiki this:

"The mushroom can be prepared in most ways that one can prepare chicken meat. It can also be used as a substitute for chicken in a vegetarian diet. Additionally, it can be frozen for long periods of time and retain its edibility. In certain parts of Germany and North America, it is considered a delicacy.

220px-Laetiporus_sulphureus_dish_2010_G1

L. sulphureus prepared dish

In some cases eating the mushroom "causes mild reactions ... for example, "swollen lips" or in rare cases "nausea, vomiting, dizziness and disorientation" to those who are sensitive.[5] This is believed to be due to a number of factors that include allergies to the mushroom's protein or toxins which are only somewhat stable at high temperatures. As such, many field guides request that those who eat Laetiporus exercise caution by only eating fresh, young brackets and begin with small quantities to see how well it sits in their stomach."

Has anyone experienced a reaction to Chicken of The Woods? I have seen it (or Hen of the woods, perhaps) used in cooking shows and would never have thought that it would be an issue.

Very interesting how preparation can be so important to particular species.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:38 PM, CajunShroomer3578 said:

I made some jerky a couple a years ago that made half the crew at work sick with nausea. I used fresh frozen chicken of the woods that I mistaken for par boiled frozen COW. Cook thoroughly!!!

OMG Cajun, that sounds pretty awful. I bet you won't do that again. Glad everyone was OK over all, though.