Ganoderma species?

DShroomGuy

I'm here in the North FL panhandle if that helps. It's not a conifer like tree in any way. My buddy says the tree is what he's calls white oak and it does have leaves similar to some types of oak. I don't think it is an oak at all though. Here's some leaves off the tree. Most leaves are green but in the height of summer it has red leaves scattered around in the foliage.

1564687898597-1406477269.jpg

The tree is not an oak. 

The mushroom is probably Ganoderma. There are a few other genera of polypore that resemble "Varnished Ganoderma" (Reishi) that grow in tropical/subtropical climates. Up here in PA we get a Ganoderma sessile, which has a growth pattern similar to this.

Definitely agreed it's not an oak tree. Not sure what tree it was but was growing not far from the edge of a swamp. In the realm of true oaks, cypress, hickory etc. Looks like a ganoderma for sure but I wanted to leave it alone and not rip it off for a pic of the underside. Maybe I can make it back before the mushroom is too old. There was another bracket fungi that looked awesome on another tree. Wish I could have got a pic of that but alass I did not...