My First Identified Mushroom Ever

I truly believe this to be a Blue Cheese Polypore, especially regarding the purple edge underneath (shown in pic 3). This is the first mushroom I ever identified, from my brand new book “Mushrooms of the Upper Midwest”. Does my guess seem accurate?

3FA0D444-8688-4D3D-8C88-1CA88E9E7A52.thumb.jpeg.7d4c2189d0a4d65c422817557105a5c1.jpeg2F14A29D-0BCD-42F6-B7C0-75395473E866.thumb.jpeg.e0fb031792e499b9a247ef28b8a488dc.jpeg41F20B0C-13B7-415C-997F-975D58854821.thumb.jpeg.459fae57c1897ee62e6252897ab342d5.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi Quinn,

I'm not sure about your ID. It looks almost too white and the brackets seem too thick for the Blue Cheese Polypore (Postia caesia), but it may very well be from the same complex; possibly the Postia alni. Perhaps a cross section of a bracket, to see how thick the pore tube layer is, would help identify. Was the top surface velvety or hairy?

I notice you are from Milwaukee. I am in Greendale, so we're neighbors. I just joined this forum and was wondering if there was anyone nearby to compare notes with. Do you get out foraging a lot in the area? So far, in the year I have been foraging, I haven't done more than some of the local suburban parks.

I joined the Wisconsin Mycological Society last year and would encourage you to check it out, if you haven't already. They have some nice events, several group forays each year, and some very informed and friendly people.

Glad to see another newbie to the site from my area.

Happy hunting,

Howard