Anyone finding anything in northeast PA?

People are getting chanterelles here in NE PA, both the Smooth Chanterelles (Cantharellus lateritius) in the oak-dominated woods as well as classic Golden Chanterelles (formerly C. cibarius) in the mixed conifer/hardwood areas. Also, I've seen a few Black Trumpets. But, so far this summer there haven't been many boletes. I haven't seen B. edulis, B. separans, B. variipes, B. subcaerulescens, or any of the red-capped Leccinum. We had a lot of rain throughout the month of June, but nights were chilly throughout June. In my experience, the early flush of conifer associates B. edulis and B. subcaerulescens occur when heavy rainfall follows a heat wave, usually between mid June and the beginning of July. I think we just didn't have the right weather sequence at the right time for these types. We may need to wait until September for these types. But, it is perplexing that the hardwood associates have not shown up. I haven't seen a single separans or variipes. These types generally start up between the end of June and mid July.

Mycorrhizal fungi seem to follow some sort of internal clock that cycles through periods of producing/not producing fruit bodies. 

Thanks guys, it’s amazing how one day of rain can change things.  I have some tiny smooth chantys coming up now. None of my trumpet spots are showing anything as of this morning though. Hoping the rain today and heat this weekend gets them booming. 

Any idea when we might start seeing some chickens? 

• 1 month later...

I am an out-doors-men...The bloom is on the S.E. Delaware County Between Phila. and Chester. Hot days and cold nights: plus the fact that I planted Heritage Burpee  Varities of all the Indian Style Plants, In a 5 Lot Back-Yard ....Get Them Roots And Berries as Well...Good Hunting...Please use disposable gloves, as I have picked many Deadly Varities to thin the Herd...Be Safe not Ballsy. Scott.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, RAU said:

I’m finding some chanterelles and trumpets  

7588572B-DFB0-4875-8837-618CC2739ECA.jpeg

43F33E6B-7873-4C59-9865-F73B4AA22BB0.jpeg

Awesome!!! I can’t find these ANYWHERE. Any suggestions? My mushroom instructor said they grow beneath it around Beech trees. Is that true? Is it better to go right after it rains?

On 9/1/2019 at 1:25 PM, scott j.fairfield said:

I am an out-doors-men...The bloom is on the S.E. Delaware County Between Phila. and Chester. Hot days and cold nights: plus the fact that I planted Heritage Burpee  Varities of all the Indian Style Plants, In a 5 Lot Back-Yard ....Get Them Roots And Berries as Well...Good Hunting...Please use disposable gloves, as I have picked many Deadly Varities to thin the Herd...Be Safe not Ballsy. Scott.

hey Scott - i'm in Media and new to shrooming since early summer. been lucky so far with quite a few edibles. focusing within a few mile radius but hoping to expand for better locales.