another bolete ?

bobby b

Olive brown spore print, deep blue staining, reticulation, mild taste. The larger cap was about 4 inches in diameter. The photo of the smaller cap is more tannish than that white look. Growing with oaks in north park. ??? Gonna  have to get the chemical kit. Ammonia negative on cap, flesh & stem.

20190712_132814.jpg

20190712_133029.jpg

20190712_132947.jpg

Thanks Sue, that seems to fit really well but it didn't taste bitter. Some people can't taste bitter foods. I watch a man chew on Tylopilus felleus last weekend and he said it wasn't bitter. I gave it a chew and it was very bitter. Thanks again. Maybe that's it.

Bitterness can be variable in mushrooms as well. I generally don't bother tasting known mushrooms that are bitter, but when I was younger on forays I picked T. Felleus and brought it in and everyone else on the foray nibbled a bit and agreed it wasn't bitter. Another one came in and you couldn't spit it out fast enough.

This certainly looks like a species of Caloboletus. The cap color and reticulate stipe match C. inedulis, which seems to be the most common species of this genus here in eastern PA.           C. calopus var. frustosus has a reticulate stipe and a cap surface that tends to develop a pattern of cracks like the one cap seen in the first photo. But, C. calopus var. frustosus is a western NA species, and like other species of Caloboletus the flesh is very bitter. I don't know of any Caloboletus that does not taste bitter. Non-bitter taste of the ones pictured seems very interesting. I may soon visit a local spot where I generally find C. inedulis. If I run across some, I'll taste it. 

An interesting find!  Bobby, if you post this on Mushroom Observer I think it will receive some attention. If you like, I can load the photos and make the MO post. 

GCn15, were you certain the non-bitter bolete brought in at the foray you mention was T. felleus? There's a few non-bitter species in Tylopilus that can look pretty similar to T. felleus; eg. T. indecisus. (bobby b's  mushrooms under discussion here are definitely not T. indecisus.) 

From Minnosota, the foragerchef.com says there is a non-bitter T felleus that he finds & cooks. Tried the cap this morning again & it did have more than just a mild taste. But it was very mild compared to T felleus. Dave you can post that on MO but keep in mind the smaller of the 2 caps was actually a little darker than the photo. I guess the lighting caused some glare.