Butyriboletus brunneus?

I believe this is Butyriboletus brunneus.  Found yesterday in west-central New Hampshire, in a mixed forest, the cap of this young specimen is decidedly brown, not red.  The stipe has pronounced reticulation.  The pore surface stains quickly blue, resolving to brown eventually, but not fading.  The cap flesh is pale yellow, the stipe flesh variably darker yellow.  The flesh of the cap and upper stipe stain slowly blue, then fade;  the lower stipe is non-staining.  There is some variable blue and red staining of the tubes.  Insect tunnels are brown to reddish brown.  The taste is mild, the odor not distinctive.  The pores are very tiny at this stage--I didn't try to get a print, but I suspect I wouldn't get much.

Butyriboletus brunneus 1.jpg

Butyriboletus brunneus 2.jpg

Butyriboletus brunneus 3.jpg

Butyriboletus brunneus 4.jpg

Butyriboletus brunneus 5.jpg

Butyriboletus brunneus 6.jpg

I visit friends in Vermont often, and I always find this species up there, generally in areas with lots of hemlock near streams  https://mushroomobserver.org/326940?q=qS5c . Same down here in PA.  That's a really nice one, very little insect damage. 

Spore print color for boletes sometimes helps get a specimen to genus. Up until a few years ago, this species was housed in genus Boletus, so the print is likely to be the olive-tinged brown associated with most of the species in Boletus (or any of several recent split-off genera). 

Thank you, Dave W.  I've been using The Bolete Filter and noticed some of the photos of this species are yours.

One thing that has me wondering:  I posted this on a local facebook group, and a member said that according to Bessette's dichotomous key, the inner flesh of this species should blue "quickly and strongly".  I don't have either of the "Boletes" books (yet) to verify and read the details, but that description doesn't seem to correspond with what I saw.

It looks like the flesh of your specimen blued and faded similarly to mine in the Mushroom Observer post you linked to above.  Perhaps yours blued a little quicker and darker.

This species should be out soon in my area. I'll try to remember to check the rapidity of staining on the cut context. But, if memory serves, it's the exterior parts of this type mushroom that blues strongly/rapidly. If you rub the reticulations, they go to blue very quickly. Looking at my own B. brunneus observations, the ones that show the mushroom sectioned do not show particularly strong bluing on the cut context. Rapid bluing generally correlates with string bluing. 

The old name for this species was Boletus speciosus var. brunneus. Perhaps B. speciosus blues rapidly when sliced and this trait got copied onto the brunneus description...?

That could be.  I imagine when you compile a tome like that, a few oversights are inevitable.

It also occurred to me that my specimen was in the refrigerator for about 20 hours before I sliced it.  I think it's likely that affected the results.