Mushroom on wood

brendan

I came upon a scattered group of these in Greenbelt Park MD yesterday. Obviously they are on hardwood, fuzzy caps, decurrent gills, trumpet shaped, caps are about 1" wide and curl under at the edges. No distinct odor, flesh whitish, fleshy but somewhat tough, especially the stem. The spore print is a light yellow color. Anybody know this one?

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

Thanks! I noticed the spore print color is listed as white on mushroom expert, these were definitely of a yellowish hue, does Panus neostrigosus sometimes have yellow spores?

Appreciate your help!

A thin spore print of a mushroom with pigmented spores may appear to be white, especially if viewed on a black medium. I have read accounts that incorrectly list the spore print of Lepista nuda (Blewit) as white. (It's pale fleshy pinkish.) In the case of the mushrooms seen in this discussion, Panus neostrigosus is a rather distinctive mushroom. It may simply be that the species has often been IDed as such without the aid of a spore print. Perhaps this is actually a yellow-spored species incorrectly recorded as white spored at some point. My guess is that in some cases such information gets copied from one field guide into another without the author actually making the pertinent observation. Perhaps you have discivered something interesting about Panus neostrigosus? Or, maybe there is more than one distinct species currently lumped into this single species concept? Interesting. 

Here's an observation of mine from a few years back. It's Leucoagaricaus leucothites, a white spored mushroom. After the mushroom was allowed to sit out for two days, the spore print had become pink  https://mushroomobserver.org/174852?q=qJN7 . 

One question... What did you collect the print on? A porous surface may yellow a bit if moisture is absorbed from the mushroom. Or, if moisture leeches from the mushroom, the white spores themselves may absorb moisture and darken. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave so sorry for the delay!

Yeah all very interesting. I collected the print on watercolor paper. I suppose it is possible that there was leaching, but I have taken many white prints on it before with only the occasional staining problem, and this was very uniform. I would describe it as slightly lighter than naples yellow if you are familiar with oil paint pigments. Would have happily posted a pic, I cannot understand why but I disposed of it afterwards because due to the trumpet form the print lacked aesthetic value, since it was only from one side of the mushroom. I do know where it was collected, if I come across it again I'll take a print and send you an image. Thanks again for your advice, and it was also interesting to read your observations on Leucoagaricaus!