lawn mushroom

bobby b

Here's a mushroom from our lawn. Oaks are close by. It's past it's prime, prominently lined, has a grayish brown depressed cap about 4 inches across. It has a solid stem with a little bit of a frosting. The gills are deep, unattached and make up most of the cap. It has a white spore print. Seems like an easy one to ID. I flunked the test again. Need some help.

20190630_121034.jpg

20190630_121013.jpg

20190630_120955.jpg

Here's couple photos from last October from the same spot. Probably the same species. I think I adjusted a couple of these photos for a little more detail. The sac at the bottom is below ground level.

20181002_141731 (1).jpg

20181002_141718 (2).jpg

20181002_141703 (2).jpg

If there's no partial veil, then almost definitely a species of genus Amanita subgenus Amanita section Vaginatae. Interesting cap color. If you collect some spores and send them to me (on a folded piece of wax paper) I'll scope them. It would be interesting to see if this is one of the types with globose, broadly ellipsoid, or ellipsoid spores. It's pretty typcial for "grisettes" (Amanitas from section Vaginatae) to have the stipe base buried in the ground. It can be tricky extracting the basal volva, especially if it's a type that readily falls apart. 

I just received a spore sample in the mail which I believe represents the amanita mushroom seen in the first few photos of the initial post. Took photos of spores at 400x magnification. Dimensions range as follows 8-11 x 6.5-8. The length/width ratio range is 1.1 < Q < 1.5, with the majority between 1.2 and 1.4. A decent percentage show a single large oil droplet. Spore morpholgy is consistent with that of the provisionally named species Amanita rooseveltensis http://www.amanitaceae.org/?Amanita+rooseveltensis  (maybe a few with smaller widths than suggested). This species is of current interest, as Rod Tulloss has been submitting representative material for DNA sequencing and results suggest that "rooseveltensis" may actually represent a complex of closely related species, possibly regionally correlated. Bobby also sent me the dried mushroom. I'll eventually submit this to Dr. Tulloss (who is currently very busy dealing with submissions he has received over the past several years). 

Amanita_WPA_7-6_4_8-11x6.5-8_1_1Q1.4.thumb.JPG.10ee4161222c4d2fd9eaf7cd9c7917f3.JPGAmanita_WPA_7-6_5_8-11x6.5-8_1_1Q1.5.thumb.JPG.4f681ca1acdfbbbfe202e6bc3d974649.JPG