I'm fairly sure ive found Chanterelles in my own backyard! Ive never found Chanterelles before, and I'm pretty new to mushrooms and any sort of foraging so I want to be absolutely 100% completely sure theyre not false Chanterelles. As many opinions as I can possibly get!!They're growing along the edge of a large English Ivy patch, all from the soil and not wood. I'm in Georgia. Let me know if any additional info is needed! 

Furthermore, if they are Chanterelles, should I harvest them now or check in after the next big rain storm (im actually expecting one tonight) to see if they're bigger? Most of my mushroom experience is limited to admiring so sorry if thats a really obvious question

20190623_171341.thumb.jpg.5d4bda68f6bcdcdbf230cb8f6ed9a6d8.jpg 20190623_171455.thumb.jpg.72efa3d848295dd857ab6ce15997bb91.jpg20190624_111235.thumb.jpg.bd0dab919a3ee9ef04176db086810a55.jpg20190624_111224.thumb.jpg.e3ea0ab1f2f71352e2e663f5f3245639.jpg

I agree, chanterelles. I *think* these are Cantharellus lateritius, aka. the Smooth Chanterelle. The rounded ridges/folds are a C. lateritius trait that in my experience develops over time. So, I'm guessing that these may have popped a week or so ago. On the other hand, maybe during a period of frequent significant rainfall this type mushroom mature more quickly than usual. GA is pretty far south of PA, so presumably the "summer" mushrooms show up much sooner in GA than PA. The internal flesh of C. lateritius is white (except some yellow pigment may "bleed" in from the surface during rainy weather). 

Assuming they are all chanterelles, harvest now. The rain and/or bugs will diminish the quality. 

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

I agree, chanterelles. I *think* these are Cantharellus lateritius, aka. the Smooth Chanterelle. The rounded ridges/folds are a C. lateritius trait that in my experience develops over time. So, I'm guessing that these may have popped a week or so ago. On the other hand, maybe during a period of frequent significant rainfall this type mushroom mature more quickly than usual. GA is pretty far south of PA, so presumably the "summer" mushrooms show up much sooner in GA than PA. The internal flesh of C. lateritius is white (except some yellow pigment may "bleed" in from the surface during rainy weather). 

Assuming they are all chanterelles, harvest now. The rain and/or bugs will diminish the quality. 

4 hours ago, svs said:

Yes, looks like chants. I see them showing in NJ as well. I do not have good experience with letting them grow. Sometime they do but more often they dry or rot or eaten by bugs

Thanks so much for the advice!! I'll go ahead and harvest now.