Morels!

I haven't found any Morels yet, but only have been out looking twice.

However, I am going to Algonquin Park this weekend! Hopefully it will be a competition between the speckled trout (brook trout) on the lake, and morels in the woods!

I'll let you guys know...

I love fly fishing for brookies. Haven't done it in several years :(

Good luck!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brookies are on hold. Morels are the current fad for me. Hoping to hit some spots this weekend... weather permitting. Rain in the forecast for Friday and Saturday. Sunday is Mom's Day. Please, gods of weather and morels, do not interpret this as a complaint. Rain good!

Found these in one of my favorite local spots today, encircling two small white ash trees. Found another bunch around another ash tree.

post-20-0-23470900-1368166619_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-92280700-1368166642_thumb.jpg

Mary, we've got the plane tickets to flyout to Montana on July 24. Looks like it's gonna be an incredible summer of morels in the Rockies.... Oooops. Almost forgot....

Please, gods of morels and weather, grant me the privilege of finding a single slug-eaten morel after I trek through 4 miles of near-vertical fire-ravaged woodlands for which my wife and I have spent $2400 in plane fare and car-rental fees in order to set foot upon your sacred fruiting grounds. Amen.

Dave, where are you flying into? I will come meet you somewhere and we can camp/pick. I'm driving and will have Maggie with me. If you are close enough, we could go hit up that bolete spot you guys found a few yrs back.

I've been out the almost everyday with varying success. I gained access to private property on the Missouri River floodplain, aka Morel Valhalla. I have a good picture of the haul, but can't get it posted. Can someone give my a quick tutorial?

Thanks

Old Oak, Dave W said he had issues posting photos today. I'm not sure why, I had no problem this morning myself. But, give it a try. Click on the "more reply options" button and then it will give you a way to choose files off your computer by clicking choose files below the message box. Make sure the file size is less than 5MB or it won't load. That is all you should need to do. If you still have a problem, please send me a PM so I can look further into it.

Here's the picture from earlier. About an even mix of yellows and grays. Thanks for the help ladyflyfish!

That's a good haul!

I've been out trekking around but still no signs of this morel thing in sw Ontario!! Patience and rain.... That's all I can say right now.

I tried to post a pic, but it asks for a URL (ie, no option for uploading from my computer)..

Luigi, you have to click on the more reply options button under the comment box and it will give you the option to upload from your computer.

Just got back from the same piece of property...filled the bin again. Pictures of the mushrooms in the bin aren't that exciting so I won't post another. I meant to bring my camera along with me (even remembered to charge it) but left it behind again. I'm putting it in my car, so I can take some pictures of these insane flushes.

We found a new spot Wednesday night before we left town. We were drawn to a bottom full of Sycamore trees, but found not one under a Sycamore. Im not 100% sure but other than a few , most of them were under what I believe to be dead Hickory trees. At least we have a new morel spot to add to our list.

IMG_2737.jpg

The recent rainfall and late warmup seems to have been a good combination for the orchard morels. Found all of these in association with 5 apple trees.

post-20-0-53451300-1368410746_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-63273500-1368410769_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-54320900-1368410795_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-39550700-1368410848_thumb.jpg

I have tested soil in my local orchard spots... for lead, because it's easy to do this. There is a problem in eastern NA with lead/arsenic contamination in some orchards, due to a pesticide used between 1860 and 1960. The small family-farm orchards in my area appear to be okay.

post-20-0-21641700-1368410824_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-37414100-1368410869_thumb.jpg

Brookies are on hold. Morels are the current fad for me. Hoping to hit some spots this weekend... weather permitting. Rain in the forecast for Friday and Saturday. Sunday is Mom's Day. Please, gods of weather and morels, do not interpret this as a complaint. Rain good!

Found these in one of my favorite local spots today, encircling two small white ash trees. Found another bunch around another ash tree.

attachicon.gifMorchella esculentoides Shck2 5-9 1.jpg

attachicon.gifMorchella esculentoides Shck2 5-9 2.jpg

Mary, we've got the plane tickets to flyout to Montana on July 24. Looks like it's gonna be an incredible summer of morels in the Rockies.... Oooops. Almost forgot....

Please, gods of morels and weather, grant me the privilege of finding a single slug-eaten morel after I trek through 4 miles of near-vertical fire-ravaged woodlands for which my wife and I have spent $2400 in plane fare and car-rental fees in order to set foot upon your sacred fruiting grounds. Amen.

Dave, where are you flying into? We should make plans to meet up somewhere. Also, maybe if you're in the close enough vicinity, we can go check that bolete spot you spoke of a few yrs ago.

Looks like everyone is doing great. I guess I shouldn't have given up as early as I did. Maybe I'll try this week one last time. I've been busy with a new job though, so I haven't had much time anyway.

Evan, our season up here got off to a late slow start, due to the weather remaining on the chilly side for so long. Big yellows are just about over here now, except for a few cold spots that always start up about a week after everything else has finished.

Finally! I found some this weekend on a non-descript south-facing hill that I found 2 morels late last year. It is quite steep, populated by maple and dead elm trunks. Due to the lack of rain, most I found were starting to dehydrate. Some did not even make it to full growth and have already dried. Lots of rain this week so I hope we'll have more by the weekend.

readily consumed. very delicious! :)

post-369-0-54779200-1369201020_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-33561300-1369201051_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-09006200-1369201077_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-20187100-1369201099_thumb.jpg

Way to go planets! "steep south-facing slope" sounds like an early spot. So rainfall may be well-timed for you to find some good patches. Here in PA morels are just about over. Got 4 in my annually latest patch last Sunday.

post-20-0-67187400-1369227279_thumb.jpg

Finally! I found some ...

readily consumed. very delicious! :)

Alright! They should be here in Ottawa too. No more excuses, I got to get out hunting this weekend.

On the other hand, the trout fishing has been VERY good these past weeks. Lots of brookies and last weekend, my kids and I tipped the canoe trying to get a fairly big Lake trout into the boat (we forgot the net). It was a cold long swim towing the half sunk canoe to shore with my kids inside while my youngest son cried the whole way. Lost two rods, but my oldest managed to hang on to the one with the fish! Woot!

Yeah, morel hunting will be safer. Less chance of ending up in frigid waters. A lot of black flies these past days however...

I'm trying to decide if it's too late here in Northern IL. I got about 40 off a newly dead elm about two weeks ago, and found some in another nearby patch, but another woods I hunt (where I've had some success) had zero. After a really wet stint in late April, it's been dry here, though we did get a nice drenching rain today, which will be followed by warm weather. Is it worth a shot? It feels kind of late, but I also get the feeling that some spots in the other woods are slow to get going - I noticed that certain flora (lilies of the valley, jack in the pulpit) were a bit behind my other spots in growth. So, do I hose myself down in OFF and head out Saturday a.m., or should I just be content with the morels I have in the freezer? That's the question.

Fungrrl, it's always worth a shot to look for late morels, if you have a variety of terrain where they occur. Check north facing slopes and the bottoms of valleys (cold air sinks). Also, I find that morels under dense tree cover are always later than those in more open terrain.