Sign in to follow this  
Vermonter

Spring Hypholoma?

I found this cluster growing near a stump of unknown variety—June 7 in Hartford, Vermont.  I haven't found anything so far that's a better fit than Hypholoma lateritium, but the coloration doesn't seem quite right and the season would be unusual.  The large one I brought home to spore print had a cap diameter of about 6.5 cm, and the sinuous stipe was hollow and fibrous inside.  Please pardon the hand-centric photos—I've been posting a lot to a facebook group called "Fungi in Hand".  It does provide a sense of scale.

1 Group.jpg

2 Annulus.jpg

4 Mature Gills.jpg

3 Twins.jpg

5 Stipe.jpg

6 Setting.jpg

7 Spore Print.jpg

8 Cross.jpg

Looks like H. lateritium to me, and the stump looks like it's from a hardwood tree... oak or maple maybe. I've never seen this species during spring. But, it's not that unusual for saprobic fungal species typically associated with fall to appear during spring. Galerina marginata is one example. Actually, just the other day I found some Hypholoma fasciculare on wood mulch (or maybe H. subviride... if this is in fact distinct from H. fasciculare). H. fasciculare is known to occur during spring. But, I have neither seen H. lateritium in spring nor heard of such an occurrence.     Hypholoma_fasciculare_RG_6-7_1.thumb.JPG.40e585e27d11526572e63751ca6472fe.JPG

Thank you Dave W.  I'm glad to know I wasn't missing something obvious.  I had read about H. fasciculare occasionally occurring in spring, but haven't seen this mentioned for H. lateritium.  It's always nice to find something unusual!