Your 2013 "to find" list

I must find some prince's and blewitts... Also am getting itchy fingers for some morels, we had some huge fires last year so it should be pretty good. Last year was a flop for me...

You gonna hit the Cle Elum area? I'm thinking it may be worth driving there from Spokane this year.

I just want a better morel season than last year. However it looks like things might warm up early again. Last year the early spring gave way to cold temps and dry weather. We had basically a handful the whole season. Keeping my fingers crossed that we don't have a repeat. I don't really have a new to find list. Last year was the first time we found chants and they were in abundance so I am just hoping we can do that again. We found about 10 lbs in one week. Good luck everyone and may the morchella be with you.

Luigi, here on the west coast of Canada, the earliest true Chanterelles appear around mid-July, if there is enough rain in early July. However, I've found Winter Chanterelles, AKA Yellowfoot, all winter long some years, lasting into April. They would be your best bet for springtime in California. I doubt that you would get enough summer rain for real Chanterelles before November (unless a typhoon hits California earlier). Chanterelles won't fruit without adequate rainfall.

Luigi, here on the west coast of Canada, the earliest true Chanterelles appear around mid-July, if there is enough rain in early July. However, I've found Winter Chanterelles, AKA Yellowfoot, all winter long some years, lasting into April. They would be your best bet for springtime in California. I doubt that you would get enough summer rain for real Chanterelles before November (unless a typhoon hits California earlier). Chanterelles won't fruit without adequate rainfall.

Thanks so much, sir! I will keep my eye out for them this spring. :)

How do they compare in flavor to "real" Chants?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...