Anne Springs Close Greenway - S. Carolina

wesfree

Exploring a forest (new to me) called Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill, SC (just south of Charlotte, NC). Encountered this (inter alia) along the way and managed to get a spore print too. Sizes were generally 2-4" diameter caps, with gills and brown spore. Mostly light brown cap, but mottled with white, and white stems. Stems were narrow, white, and hollow and appeared comparatively long in proportion to cap diameter. Growing on dead wood (pictured) alongside trails in old-growth hardwood forest near stream. Odor was "classic" 'shroom, but fairly mild.

Ideas for an ID?

Thanks!

IMG_20190522_195322.jpg

20190518_192923.jpg

Thanks for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, I don't have direct spore surface images. However, the structure of the gills may be inferred from the spore print, and the color of the gills was tawny-light brown. The collected samples I removed essentially dissolved whilst I was "printing" them, and I'm unable to return to the site at present.

There's not a lot to go on here. Here's a few not-very-confident guesses.

1. Species of Pluteus. Mushrooms in this genus have pink/tannish spore prints. One good indicator of genus Pluteus is gills that are definitely "free" of the stalk. That is, the gills do not meet the stalk. For more on this, see #2.

2. Species of Entoloma. Mushrooms in this genus also have pink/tannish spore prints. Gil,l attachment in genus Entoloma in never truly free. But some species exhibit sinuate gill attachment. That is, the gills taper down to a very thin threadlike attachment to the stalk. Also, gills that are attached thinly may break away from the stalk, which can create the illusion of being free. 

3. Were these mushrooms fragile? Very easily broken just by handling? If so, then maybe a species of Pstahyrella. This is a large genus (lots of species) of mostly dark purple-brown spored mushrooms. But, there's a subgenus of Psathyrella that features mushrooms with pinkish or light brown spore prints. Psathyrella subgenus Homophron includes only a handful of species. The mushrooms pictured in this discussion do not look like Psathyrella to me. 

Very kind indeed! Thank you for your considerable efforts. I shall endeavor to document the finds more carefully in future, having learned from this exchange. Perhaps more samples of the same fungi will still be available when I visit there again in July. In the meantime, I'll look online at additional images of the species you've mentioned, which should be quite useful. I'll revert here if new information becomes known.

Cheers!