Turkey Tail?

4rum

Thanks for the response Feral Boy. No, I didn't get a shot of the underside. This was early fall when I was just starting out looking for fall mushrooms. It was also when I was new here so I didn't really know about getting details to help ID mushrooms from pictures. I'll be much more informed by the 2013 season. THREE MONTHS FROM MORELS !!!

I am thinking not ... look a bit too large. Also, did you get a shot of the underside?

Lots of other possibilities if they don't have small pores on white surface.

Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) have tiny pores on the fertile undersurface. You may need some magnification to see the pore openings. Other similarly thin-fleshed species of Trametes are lighter colored. The very similar-looking species from the genus Stereum can be easily separated from Turkey Tail in that the fertile undersurface on Stereum shows no pore openings, even when viewed with a hand lens. Stereum ostrea (False Turkey Tail) has a smooth to slightly bumpy underside.