Does anyone know what type of mushroom these are? Found on a live tree in pa

Sean

Just wondering if anyone could identify these? Was on a live tree next to a creek in lancaster pa. Just wondering if they are ebile. The bottom has large pores and but no gills. Almost like a sponge. 

Thanks!

20190521_125852_HDR.jpg

20190521_125835_HDR.jpg

20190521_125841.jpg

Ok great thanks! Is it good to harvest this time of year?and best way to prepare them? There were quiet a few of them. Is there anyway to inoculate another tree on my property with them?thanks so much for the reply. New to the mushroom foraging scene so im trying to learn as much as possible

Young specimens of Cerioporus squamosus (aka. Pheasant's Back, Dryad's Saddle) are best to use as food. There are many reports that state the material trimmed from the cap margin of a mature specimen is good to eat. Regardless of the age of the material harvested for consumption, I think it's advisable to slice very thinly before preparing. Try a small amount sauteed in with onion in butter to see what it tastes like (and to be certain you have no sensitivity to this type mushroom). I once sampled some marinated/pickled slices that I thought were very good.