The blob

bobby b

Here's one that I really don't need an ID on. The blob, about 6 inches high by 8 inches across. When I first saw it I thought it was nice neat pile of colorful mud. A stick was embedded in it and when I removed it a puff of brown spores was released. Steve Mcqueen and the blob came to mind. 

20190517_140610.jpg

20190517_140558.jpg

I think you're going to have to turn it over fully and cut it open.  To be fair this is so big that for that shape I don't feel like it could realistically be a fungi.  I know plenty of slime molds have bizarre and random shapes, but they don't get this big even closely.  Though that only makes identifying this that much more curious.

I cut it half. It was like a very low density foam still giving off brown spores. It was connected to the ground and had a thin papery cover on the underside. If it's still there on Tuesday I put it on the table at the WPMC meeting.20190519_171156.thumb.jpg.d227f1544b3fcdbcc50dba10e1c69dbc.jpgg.

20190519_171149.jpg

20190519_171131.jpg

Okay... Now I recognize this. It's one of last year's Calvatia fruit bodies (puffball). The purplish tint to the "blob" (spore mass/ mature gleba) points toward C. cyathiformis   http://www.mushroomexpert.com/calvatia_cyathiformis.html  . Not all that unusual, although this one's in surprisingly good condition for an over-wintered puffball.