Veiled Oyster vs. Other Oyster Mushrooms

Are there any tried and true ways to differentiate veiled from other oyster mushrooms? I think I read once that the veiled don't have the decurrent gills on their stems that other species of oysters do, and that the veiled have a 'veil'. The veil seems to be short lived though or hard to appreciate... I am I missing something else? Is this correct?  Thanks!

Pleurotus dryinus (Veiled Oyster) often --but not always-- leaves a thin ring on the stipe. The rest of the partial veil disappears quite rapidly. The flesh of P. dryinus tends to be a bit denser/chewier than the unveiled Oysters, and the color a chalkier shade of white. Pleurotus/Lentinus levis is quite similar to P. dryinus. I haven't ever tried eating P/L. levis. P. dryinus is a good edible, if found while still in decent condition and sliced thinly before cooking.