Newbies 1st WTHeck is it Schroon.?

Tim L

Forgive me If I am using wrong terminology. After I get a chance to review others posts I may be able to correctly "Speak Schroon"  but here goes.

Location found Mid Hudson Valley NY

1st look thought these were Gypsy Mushrooms.  Research says Wrong time of year.

After researching a little more my thinking is  they may possibly be Poison Pie?

Found at the end of an old trail coming out (edge of) the woods.  Beginning of May (just days ago)

Slimy Top (was wet out) with cap inverting to almost pool like and edges breaking up.  IE: no longer smooth and circular.

Cap  Rusty Brown and orange with some newer Young caps being buff.

Gills turning up into the cap.  IE: do not continue down the shaft.

Small piece of collar (not full ring)

Spore Printed almost immediately  and after 12 hours had a nice full print of Dark Brown.

Here are the pics.

O_U94oilePRdnsf7AJBG7yE3hN7_7NYNZCw_-A26OFZWkqwGZ4sdh8O1b3CPrj8Z0Tc0pQS65bg9F4kKLJZtURikSKydJ4lz1-aQPenhfFFP0Y1wc-TATsiRyKe_2nwlvhOFcKX9

Qz5-rOWzDA74catbh-5mZn0JisybaH_5UDV60HUUigQsfbDJB0MrKsQaextJXJZY9Rq6W0Uo4vEX1ZaamZaiyuY5TDtzfVW0AAGk6egxsOFyXNQif41CA_hDNQ0M33weCvRu8F5C

aZAH5alnL8L-c-zYS5GKm69ij4OAcXENez6-5zFodSX2mOhUlBkpqfGQ5D-lDBLhm0zD2z7tkE_be3MpTHa3xGTXR3d4RWsxT2m4IUt9nOGQDMCRf8_FYBsrQp1y1Vun1svyyKH-

Close-up photo is not well focused. Based upon time of year, growth habit (groups/clusters in leaf littler and/or woody debris), general appearance, and brown spore print, I'd say these are a species of Agrocybe. A. praecox is a name applied to each of several different springtime species.

"Gypsy" (ie. Cortinarius caperatus) is a late summer early fall species that features a radially wrinkled cap surface and a partial veil that forms a persistent ring positioned near the mid-section of the stipe. The young cap surfaces have a frosted appearance (bloom). C. caperatus is a forest species. 

"Poison Pie" is a name applied to Hebeloma crustuliniforme. However, there are other species of Hebeloma that look very similar; all are presumed poisonous. I have found a Hebeloma species in spring. But, most often, these types appear in fall. Spore prints tend to be lighter brown than with Agrocybe. 

Thanks for the lead. Just getting into hunting this year.  Got several (requested)  books as Xmas presents. I will start doing some look ups along the Agrocybe line if they are in my field guides.  Otherwise will check out on www. 

Out of Focus closeup pics....teaching me to take more pictures and from multiple angles to help in identification.  

Definitely trying to find edibles but approaching with caution.. 1st score already this year was a Huge Morrel with 5 children about.  Cooking up this weekend.

Thx again.

One trick to getting good photos is to find a well-lit space. Outdoor locations are always best for clarity and natural color. But direct sunlight can produce too much glare and light colors tend to wash out. Too much shade does not provide enough light for the camera to record colors. In sunny conditions, I usually look for a shaded area near an opening so the the open area provides good ambient light. Experiment with different angles/shade/light. On a cloudy day it may be best out in the open. 

Regarding hunting for edibles, remember there are literally hundreds of mushroom species out there. Getting "locked in" to one particular species --like Cortinarius caperatus-- can cause one to have a sort of "tunnel vision". There are multiple physical traits to learn... cap cuticle, gills vs. pores, gill attachment, partial veil, universal veil, structure of stipe base, spore print color, and beyond all of this, microscopic features. Agarics --ie. gilled mushrooms-- are the most difficult and include the most dangerous types of mushrooms.