Help with an ID, please

Let me try to describe it (no pictures, unfortunately).

1. A pasture mushroom (looks like an Agaricus to me)

2. We call them sand mushrooms (they like to grow there)

3. The cap is whitish/with tan details

4. Cap is maybe 3-4 inches across. Pink gills (ala Agaricus)

5. The stem is nearly as wide as the cap

We've eaten them for years (when we are lucky enough to find them).

Over to you :)

Tasso, I think your suggestion may have helped me solve a mystery. A couple weeks ago I brought home a large Agaricus specimen which i thought was A. bitorquis. But the flesh in the stalk stained reddish. Matches well with A. bernardii, except for the habitat. My specimen was found on a lawn in downtown Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

post-20-0-57958100-1290487676_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-56865900-1290487725_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-34958500-1290487771_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, I have been all over the net looking for a match, with no success. :(

Salute Luigi, Check this link and see if it's any help to you:My link

The stems were even bigger, but I would imagine these are the ones. They were growing under mounds, like a porcino.

Grazie!

Tasso, I think your suggestion may have helped me solve a mystery. A couple weeks ago I brought home a large Agaricus specimen which i thought was A. bitorquis. But the flesh in the stalk stained reddish. Matches well with A. bernardii, except for the habitat. My specimen was found on a lawn in downtown Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

post-20-0-57958100-1290487676_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-56865900-1290487725_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-34958500-1290487771_thumb.jpg

That looks like the one, amico mio. :)

Dave, In "Mushrooms Demystified" Arora uses the common name of salt loving Agaricus and says it has a slightly briny taste. Roger Phillips on his site rogersmushrooms.com speculates that it is found in areas where salt is used in winter on the roads.

Dave, In "Mushrooms Demystified" Arora uses the common name of salt loving Agaricus and says it has a slightly briny taste. Roger Phillips on his site rogersmushrooms.com speculates that it is found in areas where salt is used in winter on the roads.

The taste is not briny (at least where we pick them). They have an intense Agaricus taste (if that makes sense)

I found tons of Agaricus bitorquis one year in January at the San Mateo County Fairgrounds during the International Sportsman's Exposition. I picked them all and took them to my car. They are usually only showing as shrumps or a crack in the dirt and are usually filthy but they do taste good.

Tasso, I did not taste this one (seen above). But the spot where I found it was adjacent to a sidewalk that gets a lot of salt-treatment each winter.

I've also made a few rare collections of A. bitorquis here in PA. Usually they are partially buried, or at least dirty. They are good edibles. I find it most often in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...

In light of Tasso's link in another thread, I'm wondering if what we found were really A. californicus?

Agaricus_californicus(mgw-01).jpg

Luigi, If you routinely eat your finds, I doubt they are A. californicus because they are listed as mildly toxic, causing GI upset. If your finds stain red when cut, I would stick with A. bernardii as an ID.

Luigi, If you routinely eat your finds, I doubt they are A. californicus because they are listed as mildly toxic, causing GI upset. If your finds stain red when cut, I would stick with A. bernardii as an ID.

I wish there were some pics of younger (not black, but pink) A. bernardii. The caps look very, very similar to the californicus (the scaly appearance, for lack of a better word).