Northern Tooth? In Florida?

Sunny_0ne

Climacodon septentrionale (try saying that 5 times quickly!), the Northern Tooth would be an interesting find in Florida. Here in PA I generally find it on maple. Roody says it also occurs on beech. Miller reports that, in the Great Plains, it occurs on Green Ash. Nice photo, Sunny! It looks like Northern Tooth, but I think the true identity may be Spongipellis pachydon, which is a widely-distributed species.

http://mushroomexpert.com/spongipellis_pachyodon.html

. Any idea about the type of tree?

Appreciate the reply, Dave. It was too high for me to see what the top looked like or any other details.

The photos of Spongipellis pachydon look like it! Thanks so much for solving my mystery.

Oh, have to tell you. I have been looking for a bearded tooth around our house in Georgia without success. Yesterday my sister in north Florida sent me a picture of one she found in a tree behind her house asking me if I had any idea what it might be. She had, at first, thought it was a small cat curled up in the tree.

I had been by her house two days before, but hadn't thought to check the trees for mushrooms. That will teach me! :)

Bearded Tooth is uncommon in my area. One of our local club members brought one in last year. I have yet to harvest one of these! Beautiful mushroom.

I've never found one either (mostly hunting in Quebec). Although I find one or two Hericium abietus every year (maybe the names have changed, but I mean the one with the long spiny arms, not the tight ball). Yummm, one of my favorite mushrooms.

This year, we only found it once. My 6 year old found it, and insisted on harvesting/cutting it. although there was a lot of debris around (it was in a tight spot), and care was needed to harvest it with getting a bunch of wood stuck in the spines. I let him have a go at harvesting it, and of course he made a mess of it, but thoroughly enjoyed it. A little water cleaned it up nicely and it was delicious.

I agree, beautiful.....and delicious.

The Hericiums are a good group for beginners; fairly easy to ID to genus with each of the several species being very good edibles. The one I find most often here in NE PA is H. americanum.

http://mushroomexpert.com/hericium_americanum.html

I suspect that H. erinaceus has more of a southern NA distribution.