Dryad Saddles Pheasant backs

Stop to check an interesting spot near a creek today what had a dead chesnut tree and some poplars nearby. Noticed these on the dead chesnut tree

this is a first for me finding these. Are they any good to eat? Anyone have advise on prepping and any recipes? 

These are pretty fresh judgeing by the pores and they feel fragile. 

Also anyone ever freeze or dry these for later use? 

1CE20009-02F3-4F26-A596-D7C6EE4CF7DB.jpeg

EE760820-6C6E-4E85-864D-2C89BDA78024.jpeg

BAAE0E21-0678-4CFB-930B-A01F3E046404.jpeg

6410D290-5F04-43DF-B833-592CF66BD25E.jpeg

C1AFBC8D-4EA5-41CF-B4B1-846F2E1696C8.jpeg

The flesh near the cap margin is favored by those who enjoy this type mushroom. I once had pickled/marinated Dryad's Saddle, and it was really good. Don't know  the preparation method that was used. I have a mushroom book that includes a recipe for Jambalaya with Dryad's Saddle. 

I actually am kind of fond of these. The young ones or (as Dave mentioned) the rims of older specimens are certainly edible. Would I call them "choice" not really. On the flip side they're common, easy to i.d. and have varied uses. I enjoy them, sliced, in in a soup, stir fry or stew. Floured and fried much like a chip. Many people seem to like them pickled.

At times I've even chosen to look for them over morels. Part due to their availablity and also that they can stand up to being tossed in a pan on a campfire and hold up with other flavours and textures.

The one point, I should add, is if you don't fully cook them they retain the watermelon rind taste and may be slightly bitter.