PA Morels... continued

The first photo was snapped Thursday April 25, when only a single immature Yellow Morel had just poked through the surface. Morchella_americana_NT_4-25_1.thumb.JPG.2c531b89053a5169fc7f36b7bd2b0a7e.JPG

Subsequent photos are from Saturday May 4, when 48 morels were collected. Some of them needed a fair amount of trimming, and some were perfect.  Morchella_americana_NT_5-4_1.thumb.JPG.6ce713cf34467f01e764fa967e65665c.JPGMorchella_americana_NT_5-4_3.thumb.JPG.e6b8de064d2131b076223d2d903b4487.JPGMorchella_americana_NT_5-4_4.thumb.JPG.76d5f367695293a5e8cfbd556bf3ea70.JPGThese were all collected beneath a single very old very large apple tree; one of the last remaining trees in an old orchard I discovered in 1993. 

Next few days are suppose to be sunny and warm, exactly what we need right now. The tree where I collected the nice morels is in an early spot. A few other apple trees I recently checked --where I am quite certain there will soon be at least a few morels-- aren't producing yet. So, at this latitude there's plenty of morel season left. Not sure about your area, Isis. South of the mountain/tunnel things are quite different from up here in NE PA. 

Tomorrow I'll check my elm spot.

• 2 weeks later...