North NJ

Turkey trumpet call

It’s an air suction yeloer. Made by Zack Farmer. 

Its my buddy’s. Took him 9 years on wait list to get one. 

My buddy found a few more this morning near where I found some last night. Right on the horse trail walking in to hunt this morn. Going tomo to look in area

6846D599-5998-405A-BDAA-782FCA5FBF12.jpeg

I quit using the mouth calls, the slate calls and the 4 other box calls and just use the butternut. It's easier and works well. They like the side of the call that doesn't sound as smooth. It looks like it has a flat spot on its box curve. My dad wrote that when he bought me it, 22 years & still yelping. I put my other butternut in the washing machine. It doesn't yelp anymore. No crow calls, no owl calls, no decoys. Just turkeys and mushrooms. I do like to hear the barred owl calling.

20190507_183526.jpg

20190507_183534.jpg

20190503_072701.jpg

Hard to see it? Is it actually another box or a scratcher of some sort?

pic of two birds I called about ten mins apart opening morning NY for a buddy n I using a scratcher. 

Both birds had over 1” hooks, better than 9” beards and the smaller was a little heavier than 22lbs. 

9779F86D-8389-4BAA-A870-D06CA0A647CF.jpeg

Here’s another a few days earlier w a green slate. Little harder than reg Gray and higher pitched. 

Bird also over 1” hooks, 9” beard but only 18lbs. Did have double beard if you look closely

34D9AE7B-E045-4714-B377-38E6A3093170.jpeg

It's a box call. My first box was a lynch. Still works. Another great turkey season! Soup from the carcass, turkey salad from the legs & ground thighs and breast for burgers.

Congrats to you too. Wanted to look tonight but my grass needed cuttin and just as I stopped it started raining. 

My buddy a few towns away had a good night w the morels he said but I’ve yet to get pics

No morels here yet. Frost Sunday morning. Been trying to get my buddy a bird for years (his property) but young kids and a chance to sleep have limited his chances. We were out Sat morning and I put him in the choice spot and set up behind. Long ridge out into a field, he was at the tip and I set well back in the trees, dekes out in front. Things lit up at sun rise, we ended up seeing at least 14 birds with half being males. I worked a box call to start then went to a mouth call when they were in eye shot. Hens kept pulling the boys back until, wouldn't you know it, two toms came in through the trees from the side. I had to shoot or be busted, the second tom ran out in front but he couldn't tell the sex or (eyes rolling) hear me saying "shoot it". Sounded like Troy Landry on swamp people.

Next morning (bow only) set him up on the tip of a small rise looking at a roosting area. Frosty and foggy with a big tom and hens coming out just out of range. As the morning progressed brought in a big tom from 500 yards behind us (had a shot) and a jake from the treeline. The jake walked right in on the decoys and I heard his crossbow twang, then the bird was in front of me. Brought up a fogged scope... centred the blob in the middle and shot. Then watched the  jake and tom walk away. No feathers or blood and saw him walk for a long while. Lots of beautiful sites and excitement, wished he could have got his first bird but the chance was there. The kids were very involved wanting to see where the shot hit, help pluck and watch the cleaning.

I expect this from my friends kids but they had three guests (7 to 9) who are city kids. Very impressed when one of them said "that looks just like a breast at home" when I took a breast out for lunch. Cubed ,breaded and fried one breast on the campfire and the kids inhaled it along with the leeks and dandelion greens they picked. No shrooms yet but some morels or dryads would have fit right in.

BTW small tom 17 lb, 8 in beard 1 1/4 spurs.

Great bird! I had a kid youth day miss a real nice bird at 24 yards. It tried fighting w 3 other longbeards earlier. 

The same buddy that killed the pair w me shot a tree trunk, ( I don’t know how) after I called it to about 35. I have videos of both. 

Going out now so good luck to ya all

I do shoot trad. I’ve had a brain injury. Actually had a large brain tumor. When they did surgery my optic nerve was hit. I can’t see good through a peep, can’t see perpherifally or clearly on right side. The darn tumor also crushed my hearing nerve dead on one end so I can’t triangulate. That makes telling direction hard. 

The eye thing makes looking for mushrooms hard too but persistence pays off. Since the 70s I’ve shot trad. In the 80s I added compound but never strayed from trad. The eye is forcing me back to it full time. I’ve killed some decent deer too w a longbow the past two years. 

Im using an Ithaca madel 37 here though do to the limitations. It’s easier to swing a gun than line up a bow shot as I don’t know where the gobbling is coming from if alone. Here I obviously wasn’t.  If I was in deer hunting in a tree it’d be bow. 

The longbow I’m currently shooting is a Robertson Primal Overdrive. Got one in 52, one in 57. Before surgery I shot mid 60s but after had a long rebuild to get to even 42lbs. 

God is good.  It’s me that got to deal w it instead of someone I’d worry about, He gave me the strength to pull it all off, One neurologist said I might not make surgery. I never had any doubt though.  We still get to do it!!

Wow that’s awesome!! Always something positive if we really dig deep enough!!

Im thinking of making the switch. Gonna get out and shoot as many traditional bows as possible to get the feel on what fits me.

Harvested my first buck this past season. First bow kill as well mind ya. Lol Still on cloud nine !! Might I add , public land 😬 

I'm no trophy hunter by any means. Can’t eat horns.  That’s just what God had in store for me to harvest that day. Pretty spiritual/emotional experience to say the least 

4C7F8804-BE00-496F-8880-874FCC03041B.jpeg

6ED997C8-C518-4AB3-8704-A2800AA65205.jpeg

Very cool! Congrats!!! Each hunter is in a dif place and should enjoy the sports the way they wish. Good luck to ya. 

Just a FYI. If you look on trad gang or bowsite leatherwall they have classifieds. If you buy used the bow already depreciated and you could always sell it for what you paid. If you’re fresh on it you’ll go through weights. Also w trad gear you’ll prob lose poundage compared to compound. Don’t overbow yourself. 

If you need help feel free to ask

Cajun, If you are going traditional, keep in mind there is a huge difference between a longbow and a recurve. Not many shoot a true longbow anymore but it is the quietest and most forgiving bow out there.  I would read everything I could find about Howard Hill. I can't begin to tell you all the things that man did. In fact, it is said that Fred Bear handed him a recurve and Howard stated he was "Not good enough to use that bow!" 

You'll find people that trash the longbow but you need to gather the info yourself and make up your own mind. It'll be fun either way.

Wade