Hericium?

pumplinpen

Hi all, haven't been on here for quite awhile... I found this while morel-hunting today. I thought it might be something closely related to Lion's Mane, but following a couple guides led me to identify it AS Lion's Mane... It has dried yellow/brown patches, as if it's grown as much as it will, but might not be fully mature. If you look at the very bottom of the photo, it does has some slight tooth-formation going on, but mostly it has a coral frondy look. Found  on an old fallen tree. What seems to not fit especially is that these are supposed to pop up in October in my area--- has anyone ever found them in Spring? Or have a different identification? Thanks for all help!

hericium.jpg

Nice off season find. Certainly appears to be a hericium. I recall that, several years ago, we had a weird weather spring. I think I posted of finding hericiums at the end of May and the odd huge morel in mid June. Little north of your area, so no doubt that they fruit when the conditions are right.

I think this is something other than Lion's Mane (Hericium erinaceus). H. erinaceus has teeth/spines at least 1 cm long (~0.5 inch) that hang like a bunch of parallel icicles. 

Could this be some other species of Hericium? Maybe a young un-expanded H. corraloides.

I would also consider the species Postia ptychogaster (aka. Oligoporus  ptychogaster, Powder Puff Bracket).

I don't think this is an example of a young Artomyces pyxidatus (Crown-tipped Coral). The branches should be more spread out for this early-season species of coral mushroom. 

Photo is low-res. Details difficult to ascertain.