Sign in to follow this  
JuniperWillows

Help ID Mushrooms from PA

When did you find this mushroom? Was it growing on the ground or on wood? Looks like a species of Lactarius. (I think I see liquid on the damaged areas of the gills.)  Mushrooms representing species in this genus generally do not show up in PA until at least mid June. 

The little whitish "plates" seen on the log in the third photo down look like Xylobolus frustulatus. 

I think this mushroom represents a species of Lactarius. Although these types mainly fruit on the ground, infrequently the mycelium creeps up onto downed wood and the mushrooms fruit from the decomposing wood. No confident suggestion on the species name. Lactarius is a large and occasionally difficult genus. Milk Mushrooms of North America lists Lactarius alachuanus as a species that fruits on rotting wood in coniferous settings. However, this species is known from North Carolina and points south. Also, the cap seen in this thread is faintly zonate, and L. alachuanus is said to have azonate cap. 

L. petersenii is a rare species that grows under hemlock and looks kinda like this.

Not completely confident on the genus proposal. What appears to be latex on the damaged gills may just be some other type of moisture. But, the overall appearance of this mushroom does bring to mind Lactarius.