No Morels yet

Hepatica and fiddleheads are appearing in my local early morel spot. Hepatica_LzCnty2_4-18.thumb.JPG.90a7b910d9aaf659bfe372c2e3422d04.JPG

But no morels yet. This spot had produced 100s of Black Morels each of several different years during the first decade of the 2000s. During that time the Emerald Ash Borer infestation was killing off the white ash trees, and I think this may have stimulated the large flushes of Black Morels at that time. Ash is (very likely) a symbiotic associate of Morchella angusticeps. Now that most of the ash have died, the numbers of morels are way down. Although... other spots where I have found Black Morels that feature mostly tulip poplar trees have also been producing fewer Black Morels during the past 6 or so years. The weather this spring leading up to now seems to have been very good to usher in the early morels... no hard freeze for the past 2-3 weeks, slightly above average temps, some sunny days, and plenty of rainfall. Well, perhaps too much rainfall. Spots that are usually well-drained are currently pretty soggy. 

We hardly ever find blacks around ash. It is a great spot to find yellows though. If your blacks are no longer growing around ash that have died, what about the yellows? I have heard speculation that the dying ash would increase the morel population for many years to come. It sounds like you are experiencing the exact opposite results.

Wade

I think that while the ash are dying there will be more morels. But, once these trees are completely dead --as most are in my area-- I think the morels will be set back. 

Interesting question about the yellows found where there are ash trees. Those spots seem to have continued to produce yellow morels. Actually, my local spot where the blacks have tailed off these past few years is the same general area where I get yellows. But, I have noticed that where the ash trees died --and there are no tulip poplar nearby-- the yellow morels have stopped. These spots produced nice flushes of large yellows while the ash were dying. But other morel patches near ash (mainly dead) mixed with tulip poplar have continued to produce yellows, both Morchella diminutiva and Morchella americana. I think the M. americana --the large yellows-- have been reacting to the dying ash. Also, I think the M. diminutiva is mainly associated with tulip poplar (these small morels are often referred to a "Tulip Morels"). M. americana seems to associate with both ash and tulip poplar. 

I suspect the Morchella angusticeps will revive in the areas with tulip poplar trees, and at some point in the future there will be good Black Morel years... as long as the tulip poplar stays healthy. The "dead/damaged partner-tree" situation seems to be a motif for which Morchella americana reacts by producing significant flushes (eg. dead elms, dying apple trees, ash). The reproductive cycles of the blacks (M. angusticeps) seems to be more mysterious. 

Wade, what types of habitat produce Black Morels in your area? 

Mostly around poplars but I have found some in around Oak woods.  The blacks here seem to prefer dark, dense woods. The north slopes or I have seen bomb craters and sinkholes in the woods that just fill up with blacks! They seem to have a need for much damper, richer soil than the yellows do. The half frees or "spikes" as we refer to them are often found standing in water. Any woods edge that gets enough light and has a very damp to wet soil will produce.

A few years ago it was an extremely wet spring. I found 600 spikes on our little 3 acres that is only about half wooded. Most years I would find maybe a dozen and many years none at all. 

Wade

Wade, are those "poplars" true poplars (genus Populus, includes aspens), or perhaps tulip poplar? Sounds like your Black Morels have adapted to different habitat than the ones I have found here in NE PA.  My best spot is a sunny southeast-facing ridge of tulip poplar and (mostly formerly) white ash. In New Jersey I know a shady area that features near a stream that features mature tulip poplar. Half-Free Morels are a kinda crapshoot. Find a few here and there, variable habitat. But one year --maybe 1996?-- a friend and I picked about 500 Half-Frees in a a damp shady area less than one acre under hemlock (New Jersey). 

Here in NE PA you really need to work to find mixed hardwood forests with morels. The really best spots are old apple orchards (which I test for lead contamination) and spots with lots of elm trees (fairly uncommon). 

I have read about people in Tennessee getting Black Morels under black cherry trees. 

Ya, sorry Dave, that would be Tulip poplar. I also failed to mention elm for yellows. Never see blacks around ash here and it is rare to find yellows around poplar. 

I've heard chatter about morels around black cherry also.

It's a crap shoot! I'm pushing 69 and still learning!

Wade

I agree, Gyromitra brunnea. The main differences between this species and G. korfii are: brunnea tends to have a better-defined stalk; the cap of brunnea usually forms tight folds and/or acute peaks. 

Older field guides have mis-identified each of G. brunneal and G. korfii as G. fastigiata. 

Found 4 half free morels this evening and my first 2 black morels ever, in a stand of tulip poplars. Mica caps are poppin. Northern Allegheny County. Also found ramps for the first time at Ohiopyle on Wednesday. I'm on a roll! Spring gobbler opens Saturday.

20190421_184100 - Copy.jpg

20190421_190323_-_Copy.jpg

20190421_183850 - Copy.jpg

20190421_180621_-_Copy.jpg

20190421_181547_-_Copy.jpg

20190421_181403_-_Copy.jpg

I didn't actually pick any of these so I guess there's a possibility that the half frees are V bohemica. That would be a new mushroom for me. Last year I found one V conica under an apple tree. Had an inch of rain yesterday. Should be a good week.

I've never found Verpa bohemica. This species seems to be quite uncommon in eastern NA. Except for the pair of young Black Morels, the mushrooms seen in the photos (post directly above this one) look like Morchella punctipes to me (eastern NA Half Free Morel). Young Verpa mushrooms have stalks with pithy stuffing lining the interiors, whereas Morchella stalks are completely hollow. 

Morel season in Allegheny County usually runs a bit ahead of NE PA. So, maybe they're just ready to start up around here? I'll check a spot later today.