Matsutake anyone?????

Jack pine and hemlock are the most frequently mentioned in my research. But here's a better list.

http://www.matsiman.com/booklet/matsutake_mushroomhandout.htm

I believe it is not limited to what is listed here, I've heard of other types of conifers that will host matsutake.

Also, higher elevation and finding the indicator species ALLOTROPA VIRGATA seem to increase your chances. Allotropa seem to have a direct relationship with matsutake and usually grows in he same places.

• 1 month later...

There's a video on Paul Stamet's youtube channel where he finds Matsutake.... wow... this must be one prized species!! His enthusiasm is quite overwhelming at his find. MATSUTAKEEEEE!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, nice find!

I've been looking all around me and haven't found one yet! :(

This is one mushroom I've never found either!

This is one type I've never found. Uncommon east of the Rocky Mountains. But I have read reports about this type mushroom being collected on Cape Cod.

uncommon in normal foraging grounds, but not uncommon if you know where to look, from what I've been told... Also, they grow back again in the same spot, so if you find one. (which I havn't)

Does anyone know which species of pine are most commonly associated with eastern NA White Matsutake?

I don't know which species of Pine they are associated with, but they are reported to be fairly common in Quebec. The Montreal club has a foray site they visit each year between Montreal and Ottawa (so, very close to Ontario) where there is regular fruiting of this. I would guess it is red or white pine, probably red if it was a plantation. I don't know which species, but from what I understand, they like to grow a little later in the season ( late Sept. early oct. just before the frost here), and importantly, they grow in very mature stands of pines. I've heard reports of it growing in the north too, under Jack Pine (mature) stands.

Disclaimer: As I said, I have never found them (although I've never spent much, if any, time foraging in mature pine stands late in the season), and so my stories only comes second hand from book and other people who have found them in this region.

Good luck though! I have found, however, Catathelasma ventricosum, only once, which was not with a strong flavour but very crunchy and good! only one time :(.... stories from fellow hunters lead me to believe it is the more common of the two in the ottawa region...