Sign in to follow this  
Sleepy House

ID request

Hello everyone.

I found these and am very curious as to what they are.

Area is southeast Tx, Houston area near the Gulf of Mexico. Growing out of mulch surrounding a tree planted in the late spring of last year. I can't identify the tree, but I know it is not a conifer.

Temps were in the low to mid 60s(f) and there had been a good deal of rain and very high humidity.

Smells like an edible button mushroom you find at a grocery store, only stronger. I didn't notice any bruising.

Spore print is black, could be called jet black or even inky black.

Grew in a cluster (troop?).

Sorry for the pic quality, I didn't realize they were so bad when I took them.

Might be helpful but not sure: there are several newly planted trees in the complex I live at, and this is the only tree I've seen with these mushrooms growing out of the surrounding mulch. They are on the south side of the building, away from any shade. 

20190303_110645.jpg

20190303_110642.jpg

20190303_110455.jpg

20190303_110615.jpg

20190304_181504.jpg

Species of Panaeolus. Note the toothlike veil fragments lining the margins of the caps. This reminds me of the species P. papilionaceus, which generally grows on substrate that has been enriched with horse or cow dung. Species of Panaeolus can be difficult to nail down, and use of a microscope is often necessary. 

20 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Species of Panaeolus. Note the toothlike veil fragments lining the margins of the caps. This reminds me of the species P. papilionaceus, which generally grows on substrate that has been enriched with horse or cow dung. Species of Panaeolus can be difficult to nail down, and use of a microscope is often necessary. 

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.

Neat, a Panaeolus. I looked that up and it looks like an exact match.

I picked one from an earlier flush about a month ago, but when I went to lift the cap to reveal the print, two maggots (or some sort of larvae) had emerged and more or less ruined it.

Was thinking of saving the print and attempt growing it as a fun project for me and my kid, but I'll hold off as this isn't edible.